Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

squasage

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,617
edited 12:42AM in EggHead Forum
Gonna need to keep the dumbass pin another little while. Yesterday, in preparation for tiki-fest, I went to the local produce farm to pick up a pumpkin for a batch of dizzy pumpkin sliders only to pull into the parking lot & read the sign “Thanks for another great year – See you in the Spring” :blink: . No problem, I’ll just shoot over to the supermarket, they had about 8000 of them last weekend – not a one to be bought, apparently, they purge the stock the day after Halloween :ermm: :huh: .

Determined to make the sliders, I picked up the next best cement-hard vegetable, acorn squash. Had some left over after making the bun dough & also had a little leftover cherry smoked sweet Italian sausage from dinner, so I put them together into little fried cakes.

A little browned butter in the pan, shake of pineapple head, spoonful of riced squash, press a piece of sausage in, then cap it off with more squash & rub, cook a while, flip, repeat & eat:

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

022.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

They were pretty tasty. Could have used a binder of some sort, an egg, some flour… they were very fragile as was, but they were bite-sized so pretty easy to do away with

Looking forward to seeing some folks today in the tiki hut
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    ;)
  • That looks awesome. I'm thinking a little egg wash, followed by a roll through panko or bread crumb, then a little deep fry at 350.

Thanks for the inspiration.
  • What a perfect appetizer for fall! :)

I know what you mean about the pumpkin 'shortage'....our newspaper ran an article about a shortage of Libby's canned pumpkin. Yet, after I rushed out and bought 3 cases for disaster preperation I am now noticing that it is widely available, lol.
  •  
    Looks great Zippy, I bet you can't eat just one! :)

Blair

• pcipci Posts: 249
    Those look great. Same thing happen to me Tue. went out to get a pumpkin for pumpkin bread, not sure where the 100s went that fast but none of the stores had one. Went to a garden store & they had all you want for $1 apiece.
  • See you soon!
  • BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    those look great, wouldnt have thought to put those ingredients together. :) :)