Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ in Austin?

jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to go to Austin for business tomorrow and was wondering where yall like to go for BBQ and if I should pick up anything local to cook on the egg while I'm there.

Been to Franklin's already which is awesome

Comments

• The world Mecca for BBQ is in Lockhart Texas, which is 35 miles south of Austin. People come from all over the world to eat BBQ there. Kreuz, Black's, or Smtty's are all outstanding.

It's worth the trip.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Rudy's has the best extra moist brisket that I've had. the Salt lick is also excellent. The Salt lick in Driftwood seems to be better than the Round Rock one.
  • I agree with Troglodyte about Lockhart if you can make it out there. You won't be disappointed!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Downtown for lunch I like the Iron Works.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I agree, Franklin's is really good. They're right down the street from my house, open at 11am and usually sell out by 1pm. I highly recommend this place for very well prepared traditional Central Texas meat and recommend extra for unconventional sauce. Lockhart is a good destination for bbq and of the big 3 I recommend Smitty's.

Admittedly it's a bit of a wrangle but an hour East of Austin is a great, great place named Snow's in Lexington, Lee County. Highest recommendation. He's open only on Saturday, you'll need to call ahead if you want to get anything. We call at nine and get there before 11. Sounds ridiculous? Totally worth it!

No matter what you hear, Elgin sucks IMHO.
  • Artz ribs is hard to beat and Saltlick driftwood location too.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Get a connecting flight in Memphis! :laugh:
  • I'm in for Rudy's! Can you go ahead and send me some sauce and rub while you're there???!
  • Rudy's is good, but my wife thinks it's too peppery. Their sauce is peppery too.

Salt Lick, Kreuz and Black's are must visits (never went to Smitty's). Salt Lick was our favorite but it was far to drive so we'd only go on occasion. It is in a dry county so if you want beers you'd better bring them. It's OK to bring your own cooler of "Drinks" there. They also only take cash but they put an ATM near the register a few years ago. I've heard that they opened a Salt Lick in Round Rock, but that was after we moved to Colorado.

Kreuz ran out of brisket when we went so we had to get the clod. I thought we were there early too. no problem at Black's.

Our regular stores were Smokey Moe's and Pok-e-Jo's. Smokey Moe's was pretty good with decent prices. Pok-e-Jo's had good sausage and good sides.

Brisket and sausage are staples, don't bother with anything else because they usually aren't that good. Pork is hard to find, Texans will usually BBQ a pork loin but all the ones I tried were dry.
  • I forgot to mention Coopers if you are out West in the hill country. All these suggestions should keep you busy and full :laugh:
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    I've had salt lick and Rudy's is a chain so I can send you sauce from almost anywhere (it is so good though). I'm going to be there for 3 nights so I'm going to try and got to lockhart. Still think the best sauce is from Luling
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Just my .02 but if you have been to Luling and liked their Q and sauce then you are going to be very disappointed in anything you get in Lockhart. Luling is as good as it gets in Texas.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You can't go wrong with Salt Lick or the major three in Lockhart. I'm lucky that Lockhart is on the way to the ranch and we can stop there whenever we go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• +1 on City Market in Luling, Cooper's in Llano, and Salt lick in Driftwood
  • DAC2
    DAC2 Posts: 66
    I agree with Mickey....If you have to stay in Austin Iron Works..but if your able to leave Lockhart is the place.
  • I know its sacrilege, but I once took a pickup truck full of yankees (10 will fit in a crew cab) to County Line (on the creek) and they loved it! And no love for Artz rib house on South Lamar? You guys haven't tried it then.
  • I sure hope so. I went to the one in Round Rock and was not impressed. I asked the waiter if they had any burnt ends. He had no idea what I was talking about.