Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

noob q about controlling smoke

Options
jockc
jockc Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
on my current grill I control smoke by putting chips into a little metal box and setting them near the coals. I can move it closer or further to get more or less smoke. (however if the box is too close, the chips will typically ignite) If I want to turn the smoke off I can remove the box. If I want to change smoke (like from hickory to mesquite) I can do that too. I often do change the smoke if I am cooking several things on the same day.

I get the feeling I won't be able to do this with a BGE. It seems like people just dump the chips into the coals; that being the case, you are pretty much locked into that smoke until those chips are consumed. Anyone figured out a better way? I don't think I can just put my metal box directly on the BGE coals because the chips would eventually ignite.

Another question. I read some posts here where people say they don't soak the chips. I don't either in my current setup because the box prevents the chips from actually touching the coals. However, I have found that putting dry chips directly into the coals usually results in them igniting and burning. Doesn't this happen in the BGE?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    if the lid is shut there isnt enough oxygen in the egg for the chips to burst into flames, they just smolder. what works for me is chunks instead of chips, you can just pick out the chunk if you dont want it in there. theres more airflow in metal smokers so the chips dont smolder as well and flame up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Good question. I don't believe anyone has ever asked about changing smoke flavors.

I'm not sure you wouldn't be able to use the box. There is a big difference between the Egg and other cookers when doing lo-n-slo. The chips don't need to be soaked because the air flow control is so tight that the only way the wood can burst into flame is to have the dome open. If you don't need or want to open to mop the meat, or turn pieces, the wood doesn't ignite.

What I would suggest is making a foil boat, and setting that in the middle. The semi-crumpled foil would not conduct heat quite as much as a metal sheet, and so reduce the chance that the chips would ignite.

Alternatively, get some big wood chunks, and swap them with a pair of tongs. Use a grill puller to remove the grill.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Some use chips and I think some soak them but, I don't. I mostly use chunks and if I want I will use more than one kind to get the flavor I'm looking for and depending on the cook I will use several chunks. I don't worry about the chips or chunks burning up to fast because I keep my dome closed and regulate the air at the upper and lower vents. That way the flavor wood just smolders and lasts a long time. I think just because the egg is not belching out smoke it doesn't mean you not smoking your meat. I'm sure there will be others who can explain better than I can. Tim
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    When I want to be able to stop and start smoke on the BGE I put the piece of wood I want to use in the ash catching area under the grate that supports the coals. I can place the piece of wood, typically a length of apple wood about 6" long and about an inch or more in diameter, under the grate with a pair of tongs. It will smoke nicely there, and I can remove it whenever I want or add another one at any time.
    Phil
  • jockc
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. where are you in middle TN? I grew up in Sumner county..
  • jockc
    Options
    Some great suggestions thanks.. I'll try all and see which one works best. but I'm starting to think big chunks might be the way to go: easier to add and remove than a too-hot-to-touch box full of smoking chips while holding up the grill.
  • jockc
    Options
    I was hoping that would be the answer, thanks. I assume if things do flame up when the top is opened they will return to smoldering once it closes again?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I moved to Westmoreland, Tn in Sumner County from Bradenton, Fl in 1988. Around 2001 I moved to Lafayette in Macon County and that's where I'm at now. Tim :)

Small world :)

Where are you located now?
  • jockc
    Options
    I'm in southern California (Los Angeles area) since 1989.. Lived in Gallatin while growing up.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    your chips won't ignote. can't happen in an egg.

distribute the chips vertically in the lump, mixed in through the lump so that as the fire burns downward (mine does, anyway), the fire will meet fresh chips.

soaking isn't necessary.

think of the lump as a candle. it will not burn until the fire reaches it, and it burns down.

if (for example) you want mesquite at the end of the cook, add the mesquite at the bottom when building the fire. the fire will get there at the end of the cook and hopefully the wood will be found by the fire.
    chunks versus chipsisa red herring. a pound of woodis a poind of wood. the chips (if that's what you have) can be spread a little more than one or two chunks. more chance for the fire to find it.

either works. just different
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey you never know we may have crossed paths. At the time I was known to frequent the rough and tumble Hide away bar. Now days I may go to a bar but, I no longer drink. Tim
  • stike
    Options
    basically, that's genius.

never heard anyone mention that before, and essentially, it's the kind of thing where you wonder "why hasn't anyone ever thought of this?"
  • jockc
    Options
    Yeah definitely going to give that a try..
  • stike
    Options
    not sure how well it works at the beginning of a low and slow, whn the fire is up high, but maybe later in the cook
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    I light my fire with an electric starter pushed into the coals and they tend to light down low and spread up. The piece of smoke wood in the ash pit is smoking easily by the time the coals are ready to cook on.
    Phil
  • stike
    Options
    interesting. cool. thank you