Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

holiday roast beef help

Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited 3:20PM in EggHead Forum
I want to do a roast beef for the holidays. What cut of beef does everyone think works best, I want to carve/slice at the table. I also would like it to serve about 20 ppl and would love for it to be one roast. Going to do a practice cook for friends before reunion really want to wow the family.

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Whole Ribeye primal,a.k.a. Prime Rib without the bones.Use AT LEAST Choice grade.
  • PattyOPattyO Posts: 883
    For a large crowd I've use the shell roast. That's the whole new york strip before it's cut into steaks. Sam's Club carries it. I have rubbed it with olive oil and garlic and fresh herbs, wrapped in plastic wrap then foil for two days before roasting it. That was before I had the egg. It's boneless and easy to slice. A thin fat cap with no fat layer in the muscle. Each slice is perfect. Again, Choice grade!
  • Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    sounds good thanks
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Nice call. Non traditonal alternative to the more standard rib eye. Thanks for prodding me to consider it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Thanks looks like I have some homework trying to figure this out. With so many cuts how do you ever decide. Well maybe I will try a couple different options before Christmas.
  • You will not go wrong with either of those cuts. Pick one and do it once or twice before the big day. You won't regret it.

Doug
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Interesting.I'll give that a go.Never thought of Strip as a roast.Love the FLAVA but don't like the texture in a steak.It may well work as sliced roast beef,very thin.Good Call! ;)
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Frankly, most Christmas roasts are the rib eye.

Can't go wrong with that
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante