Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock skin up or down

Options
shmoony
shmoony Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for opinions on whether to cook a skin on spatchcockd bird with the skin down or up. I keep reading different opinions so I came to you guys. What do ya think.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mine is skin up - direct - high in the dome and do not flip.
    Do this on mini or small or large = all works fine.
    I do leave in fridge overnight uncovered, seems to help with skin.....
    I do not oil.... just rubs...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Options
    I start mine skin down for about 15 minutes then flip it over to finish. On top of the Adjustable Rig Direct.

Roger
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    Raised grid,skin up, 400 degrees. You can flip it for a few minutes if you think it needs it when you're coming to temp but because of the higher heat in the dome you probably wont need to.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I do raised grid with the skin down for about 15 minutes and then flip it for the rest.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Just like Mickey, at 375 it takes 60-75 min, depending on size of bird. :cheer:
    A few pecan chips will give him a nice mahogany tan :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I really can't tell much difference. I get a nice skin cooking skin up as long as I am cooking at 350° or above.

GG
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    raised grid, start (5-10 minutes) skin side down to get fat in skin rendering, then flip over to cook. if needed, go back to skin side down on back end of cook to finish skin to desired crispness. if you tent or cover the bird after removing from cooker, chance the skin will soften from the steam/heat off bird.

ceramicgridstorepics226.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yes. Start with skin up and finish with down to crisp it up.
  • wnbasac
    wnbasac Posts: 34
    Options
    wow that looks great! i tried a turkey last weekend but it wasn't what i expected so i'm gonna try this out
    >
    whats the temp and do you put it on the grid or in a pan with a rack???
    >
    thanks,lou
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Options
    I usually do a 5 lb bird 25 min skin side down at 350 then flip for 30 min rib side with apple wood. Have done it skin side up for entire cook with same results, just less grill marks. The Egg is very forgiving and you will end up with good result with technique or internal temp. Good luck, the egg will make your cooks awsome either way.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    i do spatchcock chickens high in the dome atop the rig or rig extender, so birds are 6 to 7.5 inches above the top of the fire ring. cooker temp is 375-425ish. take birds to 160 internal temp, usually 60 to 75 minutes. it takes a little practice to get it down. tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.