Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what takes 2.5 hours to smoke, direct at 250?

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm cooking some wings this weekend and i need something to go along with it and my brain is freezing up and i can't think of anything that i can cook in this length of time or close.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Un fried chicken might work..if it dont clash with the wings to much...check my "cooks" section..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Assuming you mean within that amount of time and you can bump the temp slgihtly.....ABT's, armidillo eggs, moinks, fatties, sliders, shrimp, ..
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I smoked some porksteaks this last weekend in 2 hours at 275. They were less than 3/4 inch thick. I used apple and peach wood and they had a good smoke ring. Finished with some sweet baby rays. They were nice and tender and yummy.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    ABT's come to mind first, but...
    Roasted potato wedges and a mix of veggies. Just toss with oil and seasoning to your liking and roast them on a sheet or a mesh.
    Skewer some mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, stuffed olives, pineapple...
    I've even done broccoli and cauliflower on skewers!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Corn on the cobb?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
  • deepsouth
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    Un fried chicken might work..if it dont clash with the wings to much...check my "cooks" section..

that looks great wess. a pre-cook technique, but the end result looks similar to my wings. i've never done large pieces of chicken. i may go that route.

some people find it hard to believe that i actually cook my wings two and a half hours direct, even if only at 250.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. i will incorporate a couple of them into the cook.

a question about the corn.... can i really leave corn on for 2.5 hours? what's it like?
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Essex County wrote:
    Salmon!

i just bought a 2.75 lb fresh salmon filet, skin on.

should i put this on for the entire length of the time the wings cook???? i've never smoked salmon.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    In a nut-shell...NO :ohmy: :ohmy: !!

If you want to "smoke" your salmon...It really should be brined first and then smoked at a lower temp.

Unlike Lox (way cold smoked)....Smoked salmon is "hot-smoked" for a longer time at a slightly lower smoking temperature (180-250 max. degrees F.) until it reaches about 140 F. This may take longer then your 2.5 hr. time frame depending on the thickness of you salmon...But, you may be able to do this.

OTOH, cooked with smoke, is a different story all together. This is a wonderful taste treat, but takes much less time.

Most any seafood can be WAY over-cooked in what is seemingly a nano-second. Even if cooked at 250 F..

With exception to Rare Tuna…Here are some VERY basic guide-lines that can be used to assure a tasty and tender fish entrée.

The BIG thing: Cook only until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork or knife point.

The last salmon I did was a good 3" thick, skin on (never turned, cooked skin down) and was done on a raised rig at 400 F for about 30 minutes (opening it every 5 or so to give a baste), if that shades any light on how fast this can cook!!??!!

The four Easy Guidelines to GREAT Fish:

On the Grill at 375 to 400 degrees F. About 4 to 5 minutes on each side.

On a plank at 350 to 400 degrees F. About 8 to 10 minutes per inch. This applies to a raised (14" or so above the fire) grid also.

In the Oven at 375 degrees F. About 10 to 15 minutes.

Under the Broiler at 4 to 5 inches. About 5 minutes.

Remember that these are VERY basic guide lines and are only a general guide....Again, I point out referring to the "BIG thing"!

Even my other suggestion (maybe others too)were not intended to be on for the entire tine of your wings.....Just thinking out loud, so to speak :whistle: