Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken - Spatchcocked

Options
Big Thunder
Big Thunder Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am I the only one on here who does not like their chicken cooked this way? I may be doing it wrong, but every time I try, it always taste greasy to me. My family loves it - me not so much.

I prepare it as directed. Use some sort of Dizzy Dust product and cook it to desired temps over direct heat. Comes out perfect, but it is always too greasy for me. I have tried with different brands of bird as well.

What am I doing wrong? :S You all rave about it, but I can't get behind it. I might as well confess that beer can chicken is too greasy as well.

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Hmmm, if you think beer-can is greasy too, I'm thinking you maybe won't like it? I have thought the same - not always - but I didn't dislike it. Mmmm grease! :laugh: What type of chicken on the egg/grill have you liked? Maybe this will point you in the direction of what would work for you AND the family - lots of chicken recipes out here. :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Orwell,
    I like the grease, but I know it is not good for me so I trim all of the fat off that I can. I have had some chickens that are very fatty, hope this helps.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JerseyEgger
    Options
    I see you're new so welcome to the forums!. I actually did my first spatchcock this weekend and I didn't find it greasy at all. Maybe the brand or what you're putting on it???
    -Eddie
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Here's a few suggestions. Cut away any fat you can find. I find lots of birds at the market are very fat, sometimes as much as 20% of the weight. As it happens, there is a vendor at the farmer's market that sells "non-chemical" chicken. The flesh seems much firmer and more meaty, but perhaps that is just because they are fresh.

Dry the birds in the fridge over night. Prick the skin all over, just as if they were ducks, which are usually grease bombs.

It may just be my imagination, but it seems like brining reduces some of the fatty texture.

Ramp the temperature up at the end for a final sear.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Welcome to our world, glad to have you.
    Do you put oil on the chicken. I do not, just set out in fridge uncovered overnight. Then put rub an hour before cooking direct (very high in dome) at about 400 and never turning.
    Just my 2 cents.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    Greasy chicken is fatty chicken. Trimming fat from the chicken will help with this. Also consider cooking it vertically, beer-can style, WITHOUT liquid. This should make gravity your friend when it comes to cooking away fat.
  • stevesails
    Options
    I have been removing the Keel bone recently, problem is i love to play with knives as much as my egg and end up cutting the bird into 4 pieces, thigh/leg and breasts.
    Last night i cooked direct at 375 with the dfmt OFF to keep all the smoke from the burning fat from affecting the taste of the chicken, for about 30 minutes.
    I then put the pieces on my raised grid with the dirp pan XL and finished it off.
    best ever.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Try and find some "free range chicken". It should have less fat content B)
  • Big Thunder
    Options
    I appreciate the commentary. I guess they birds I have used are fatty(ish). I cut away a good bit, but still it does not work for me.

As a confession, I joined this forum about nine months ago. I lurk and read and make goo goo sounds at the pictures you all post. I've had the BGE about a year and would feel comfortable saying I have about 75 cooks on it. It's a great investment (read that as toy) and I love cooking on it. I just don't like the way the yard pimp turns out.

Thanks again, I'll keep reading and lurking, speaking up when necessary.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Big Thunder: First, welcome, and visit often. ;) Have you tried a spatchcoked bird INdirect yet? Platesetter witha drip pan, raise the drip pan off the platesetter with foil balls or the green feet so the drippings don't burn. Add the grid, and cook in at 400-425*, indirect. This solves the problem of the chicken fat falling in the fire, which can definately give it an 'off' greasy flavor. And as prior folks have recommended, trim away as much fat as you can before the cook. I suggest trying it indirect and see if you like it, before you give up on this cook. Happy Eggin!
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • tsheehan7
    tsheehan7 Posts: 105
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, find the fattiest parts under the skin and prick that fatty area several times with a sharp utensil (ice pick). This will allow the fat to cook out from under the skin faster instead of staying there and greasing it up.
  • PepperPilot
    Options
    I have found that when I use a chicken like Foster Farms it tends to have more flare ups, therefore more fat. So I try to use "free Range" organic and they come out awesome.

I have an alternate way of cooking the Spatchcocked on my website. It is done over direct heat and be sure to finish it off by rotating it at the end to crisp the skin up (watch out for the flareups here).

We used a peri peri rub (citrus and hot pepper) cooked at 350 direct, and it came out very moist and crispy.

Click here for link to recipe and step-by-step instructions

Peri_Peri_7.jpg

-Kevin

Pepper Pilot
    BBQ & Spice Co.
    www.pepperpilot.com