Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new Large BGE came with top cracked in two

Options
thepla
thepla Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received my BGE. The top is totally cracked in half. I took some pictures and sent over to dealer; he'll get them when he is on on Monday.

I was planning on putting together the rest of the egg, etc. I hope this is a warranty item, since it came broken in half, but would like to use it.

Would it be against the rules to use JB Weld (I've read that name many times here) and put together? I bought it from a friend that is a large BGE dealer but not in my neighborhood.

My firebox also has a small opening that goes up and down, if it is also cracked it would be a pretty symmetrical. The pic on BGE website does not show this up and down gap / crack. Is this piece also cracked? [img size=150][/img][url][/url]

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Just return it for a Brand new EGG. Don't start messing with it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    thepla,

It will be a warranty item in twenty years too. My guess is that JB Weld would give you enough strength for cooks under 400*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lowercasebill
    Options
    sad to hear this about the dome the dealer will stand behind it ,, if he does not come back here for further instructions
    the 'crack' in the fire box is a new design intended to prevent or control future fractures. you need a photobucket acct to post a pic ,eggheadforum servers do not store photos. if you wish it posted and do not have and acct .. send me an email by clicking on my name .and i will post the pic for you
    bill
  • tsinar
    tsinar Posts: 14
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. When the dealer took it back to his store and opened the box the whole thing was cracked. Took a while to dot all the i's and cross all the t's but it was replaced with a new egg.
  • tsinar
    tsinar Posts: 14
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. When the dealer took it back to his store and opened the box the whole thing was cracked. Took a while to dot all the i's and cross all the t's but it was replaced with a new egg.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    Eggs should never be sold in the box. I assemble everything I sell so I know it is right, and the damage didn't happen after I sold it.
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We chose to get one in the box for ease of transport. If it were assembled, we would have had no way to safely get it home. It was so easy to haul the boxes in separately and put it together ourselves.

We have since built an Egg Crate so that we can transport our egg, but we have to borrow a truck to do so. :blush:
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    We prefer to assemble all eggs for our customers too, that way if there is damage the customer never has to deal with it. Eggs are the only grills we preassemble now so customers in a hurry wont be tempted to take one in a box. The few times we do sell them in a box we open the box first to make sure all is well.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Thats the new design firebox. It's suppose to have that cut in it. It lets it expand and contract without cracking.