Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright tomato pie people

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have home grown maters that need attention. I've got Rhodes frozen bread loaf. I just pulled out to thaw for use tomorrow. I'm thinking a tomato calzone instead of the pie. Toms dusted with cornstarch, onion, basil and motz?
Feedback please.
I thank you!! :)
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I am not sure if this is the type of pie you are seeking, however it is EGGtastic in the right situation. Also better the next day for breakfast.

Pie, Onion, Tomato, Bacon, Cheese, Richard Fl

Took some ideas from YB and Bryan Love and played with them. Great flavor.

100_2135.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 9 Inch Deep Dish Pie Shell
    2-3 Tomatoes, Sliced thinly and then in halves
    1/2 Medium Red Onion, thinly sliced and then in halves--OR--
    1 Bunch Green Onions
    1 Cup Mayonnaise
    1 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated
    6-8 Slices Bacon, Cooked to be Crunchy
    Basil, Fresh, Chopped
    2-3 Tbs Blue or Gorganzola Cheese, Crumbled (Optional ).
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    Guave or Apple wood for "LITTLE" smoke flavor

Procedure:
    1 Poke fork in bottom of pie shell before cooking so as to give the air a chance to escape.
    2 Cook pie shell at 375°F for about 10 minutes in regular oven.
    3 When the pie shell has cooled, layer sliced tomatoes, onions and bacon bits almost to top and chopped fresh basil leaves. Save some bacon and basil to sprinkle on the top of the cheese/mayo mixture. Mix the mayonnaise and cheese together and then spread on top.
    4 Set BGE up for indirect, legs up. Place pie on grate and cook for 45-60 minutes at 350°F.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/09/11

2008/01/17
    Richard Fl

Went to make one this AM and did not have but 1/2 Cup Mayo so used sour cream for the difference. Made the pie nice and moist. Will probably do it the next time. Left out the Blue cheese this time.

2008/08/17---Richard Fl

Modified the cheeses this time. Had some shredded sharp, shredded parmesan and about 3 slices of pepper jack, which I cut into small pieces. Mixed all together and had about 2 1/2 cups cheese. Did 1 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    hey Molly...take a look in the BGE cookbook...I know you have one...BobbyQ has a recipe in there that is really great...I even helped him cook some last year at Eggwego fest.

Kim
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thanks Richard!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Similar to Richards, but talks about egg setup. Cool! I thank you Kim.
    Should be a fun cook. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Molly, consider making a batch of pie dough also, these things are delicious, & you can cram a lot of tomatoes in

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=949690&catid=1

006.jpg

027.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I had a feeling you were going to say that.....fine, I will...not much of a baker of pastries, just breads, bicuits ect.
    Preferred recipe? Thanks Marc. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    My favorite crust for a tomato pie is to use
    1 cup Bisquick
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    2 tablespoons boiling water

Mix it up and press it into your pan. Then build your pie on top of that base.

You can't go wrong with tomato pie. I'm thinking about using some Rotel tomatoes in one just for kicks and giggles.
    Best,
    WA
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Sounds easy if you don't have eggs on hand. Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Molly,

I have only made one tomato pie and that was a million years ago. I like your idea for the calzones. I would seed the tomato's and let them drain some as they are almost all water to begin with. You don't want your dough to turn into a soggy mush from all that water. You might slice them after seeding and lay them out on paper towels or a cooling rack so they can drain a little. There will still be plenty of juice in them when they cook. I was also wondering if you could brown up some of that sausage that you like so well to throw in with the mater's and what ever else is going in. Got any roasted Hatch chilies and a little roasted garlic? Maybe a little cheese wouldn't hurt or some fresh basil. party00211.gif

Blair

• cookn biker
    Options
    ok Blair....I was thinking the same thing...swear! I have half of that fatty left, a bunch of frozen asian basil I grew this summer, also plenty of chili's. :whistle:

About 2pm you can arrive. You will be welcomed with open arms!!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahaha, Great minds think alike! I wish I could be there, it sounds good! . . . Oh! and the calzones do too! ;) :laugh:

Later my friend,

Blair