Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Faith..Throwdown?

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When are you gonna call one darlin?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    it is time!! lets get this going again :) great break in for the newbies :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Julie,

We have to simplify the judging but they were fun. Specially in the cold weather months.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lowercasebill
    Options
  • Mainegg
    Options
    agreed Steven. it was fun and I got so many ideas from it!! lots of good posts and ideas we all look at things diff. wish there was some way to get the new eggers involved and to see it is all good. yes we have some prof chefs on here, but we have some awesome basic cooks and some really off the wall cooks too and all should get involved :)some times the simplest thing is best. and if it inspires some one to the next level it is all good :)what is simple to one is advanced to another and we all learn :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Perhaps Zippy could call another smackdown. That was the most fun of all!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't think we really need to hand off the whole production to the winner. it really got crazy with all the anonymous posting of photos, rules, etc.

just someone call it, and whoever chooses can participate. why even declare a "winner"?

just get somethin started
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Cold weather months???? Sorry doesn't appear in my dictionary :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think one judge that doesn't care about what other people think. We appoint or elect. You are looking real good for the job!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have been in Mexico in the winter months mi amigo.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Options
    I second! all in favor?? :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Aye

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Perhaps when she recovers from the last 3 BGE road trips.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I am hereby announcing my recuperation from 3 eggfests in 5 weeks.

One reason I never declared the next throwdown was the long pages of instructions I received from the previous winner, and I just didn't want to go through all of that. This is supposed to be fun.... so what should I do??

I can name some ingredients, and all we need is an unknown judge??? That I will ask to judge??? Then the newbies still won't participate because they will be intimidated, which is the very reason all the rules became so complicated in the first place.

But at least it gets the Throwdowns started again, and all of the northern bored people will have something to look forward to.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan Faith!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I hereby nominate stike as the judge

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I nominate breadbasket as the judge.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Not intended towards you,just the Throwdown. B)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I'm with Hoss. Simple is best. You could offer $100 to every person you meet tomorrow and someone would not like something about it. I'm a newbie, and will not stand a chance against some of your pros, but I'll give it my best. Let's do it!
  • stike
    Options
    I think you are dead on with ditching all the rules. At the end, it was a kill joy.

Name some ingredients, let the individual cooks post the pics from their own accounts, and 1.) declare a winner of your own independent choice followed by 2.) naming the next judge based on a random selection of all those who participated in earnest

"winning" is defined however the judge determines, including because you liked the dog in the background, color of the drapes, or whatever. And those who participate have a decent shot of being rewarded for the effort by having an equal chance at having their name drawn out of the hat.

Anyone doing it for actual credit for a 'win' might be a little too invested. Hahaha
  • RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Options
    So how does this work? Kind of like Iron Chef with an Egg?

Secret ingredient(s), time to shop and come up with a kick butt recipe, a single day to cook or do you get a couple days in case you really mess it up?

I'm interested and will likely participate.

A little more info for us newb's if you please.

Roger
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Roger,

Stand by...Faith will unveil a dandy event I'm sure. You'll most likely have a few days to tinker if you so choose. Although, that seems like taking it a little too seriously. :S

It's really cool, cause you will see 5, 10, 15 ways to use the same ingredients. Tons of variety and creativity in this group.

The 'Smackdown'...now that was serious stuff. :P
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Roger,

There will be specific ingredients to be used, with a few days notice for shopping and planning, then a deadline where you post the pics of your cook. We had anonymous judging in the past, so that new eggers would not be intimidated to post their pics, but that got too complicated. This time there will be one judge and everyone will post under their own forum handle - only those brave enough to be made fun of for their dish will participate!
    Look forward to it for next week. There will be announcements so check back.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • stike
    Options
    thank god. a voice of reason!

:laugh: