Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning cast iron grate

Nolan
Nolan Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys got a new CI cooking grate for my large at eggfest and just wondering if it's safe to use the cleaning tools that I have been using for my old grate. Any special cleaning brush or recommendations would be great thanks.

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I've had my cast iron for 11 months and the standard tools work fine on it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You want to CLEAN it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nolan
    Nolan Posts: 26
    yes clean it with a wire brush after a cook just wanted to know if its ok heard somewhere with CI not to use those tools.
  • I am using my CI grate on a spider. There is no way that it will ever be seasoned.
    Even with the dome thermometer showing 450 degrees the CI is way to hot.
    With that in mind I have been washing it with soap and water.
    I have never liked crude on my grill grates and I wash them all and used a copper scrub pad.
    My vote is wash it and spray with cooking oil to prevent rust.
    WLL
  • Nolan
    I pondered this as well when I first got my CI grid. I just use fire and heat to clean it now. Maybe a quick swipe of the ash tool or spatula across a real gunky part, but most times I like the heating up time clean it for me.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Bingo. Mine is year old and I've never done more than a cursory brush if there happen to be any large chunks left from last time. I've even forgotten it and left it out in the rain (closest it's ever come to being washed) and it hasn't rusted (or killed anyone) yet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Again, BINGO, don't clean it! :P :woohoo: :)
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    I let mine burn clean and brush it with a stainless grill brush. It's 6 years old and still doin' fine!