Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Cook concluded

Options
RogerT
RogerT Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

As with pretty much everything I do, I rarely go small. This is my first low and slow involving 3 butts between 8 and 9 pounds.

DSC_6386.jpg

Rubbed and ready for the grill, (forgot the mustard for the binder)

DSC_6388.jpg

19 1/2 hours later,

DSC_6404.jpg

They look awesome, and I am happy that they are finally done.

Double AF and let rest for 2 hours before pulling. First butt on the unwrap.

DSC_6405.jpg

Finished product

DSC_6406.jpg

Started with about 28lbs, and finished up with about 13 or so. Had some temp issues during the cook, but only got woke up one time by the Maverick on a high temp alarm. Had the limits set on 280 and 200. Figured I would be safe with those parameters. These seemed to have two plateaus. One in the 160's and another in the 180's. Had my meat probe in the wrong place on the butt, it was above the "Y" bone, rather than in the big eye shaped muscle that lies along the flat side of the bone.

When I pulled them, a couple of hunks stuck to the grill giving me the opportunity to sample my work. Dry, but chewy and tasty. Wasn't real happy with that, and figure that I had screwed up the cook, ending with dry, shredded wheat pork. But after the rest, and starting to pull the meat, I was happily surprised to find, succulent juicy meat.

I also now know, that the BGE Dome thermo is garbage. Sometimes it would read the correct temps and more often would be way below what the temps of the Maverick were telling me. I had the Maverick probe dropped down thru one of the openings of the DFMT. I had calibrated the dome thermo before lighting the grill and was confident the temp was correct when I started.

All in all, I don't think it was a bad cook, and something I will be doing again in a few weeks after we clean up all the frozen leftovers. Next up, big brisket flat. :evil:

Thanks for looking at my long winded post.

Roger

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Roger, great looking butts. Did you pay less than $1 a pound? That's a great price. Regarding your dome thermometer, any chance it was stabbing/touching one of the butts?
    Gary
    canuckland
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    It's wonderful to have the first butt behind you and even better to already be looking forward to the next!

Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • RogerT
    Options
    Gary,

Yep, .99 cents a lb. B) Thats the reason I ended up doing 3. May have to stop back after payday and pick up a few more for the freezer. Best price I had seen up till this was $1.19.

When I first put the butts on, yes the thermo was sticking into one of them. But, I figured that out pretty quick when the temp was almost pegged on the low side and I knew the dome temp was 250. Just spun the rack to the space in between 2 butts and was good to go.

It was an interesting eggsperience.

Roger
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You done good Roger!! Just keep that dome therm calibrated. I am a comando cook. Did a butt a few weeks ago and stabalized the large at 240 for 40 minutes, putthe butt on at 7pm, woke up at 7 am. Had some coffee and looked out at the egg therm and it was still at 240. Seemed way to easy!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Great pics! Looks delicious to me :)
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great looking PB Roger. Sounds like you got a great deal on the meat. I'm not familiar with the Maverick, what is it?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RogerT
    Options
    Maverick ET-73 pit probe and food probe. Has a remote receiver that you can bring in the house after you have everything going. Allows you to monitor your cook without going outside. Really a nice thing to have. You can get them on Ebay.

Roger
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would trust a calibrated BGE dome thermo before I would trust my Mav.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut