Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - for Grampa (pick heavy)

Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All -

It has been a little while (lot of whole) since I have posted. I have been eggin' strong, but thought this might be post worthy.

A little background. I got my first BGE for Father's Day 2008. I now have six of them, but neither here nor there. My grandfather, who will turn 80 tomorrow, has always seen my eggs, but only has enjoyed burgers and chicken from my egg, this is mainly due to logistics (he lives 8 hours from me) and other circumstances.

But he always asks what I do best. I tell him pork loin, pork butt, chops, pork tenderloin and brisket. He says "you cook brisket - how do you do it?" I say low and slow. The story gets fuzzy, but I swear he told me that he has not had a good brisket in 20 years. Needless to say I knew that he was due to eat my brisket.

Since I have had my egg, I have probably cooked 20 to 30 flats, but only one whole brisket. Since we are having 30 guests at his party - why not two whole briskets!

The party is tomorrow, so we will have to reheat which is fine. If any one has any suggestions to help, please let me know.

Here we go:

Two 12 lb briskets:

100_3148.jpg

I trimmed them up pretty good as you can see.

I didn't have a measuring stick!

100_3150.jpg

Thanks to thirdeye (and the post about no smoke ring WHT) - here is a little seasoning:

100_3152.jpg

After in the fridge for an hour or two, rubbed them up:

100_3153.jpg

The BGE set up - went with the XL with the Diggi:

100_3155.jpg

Smokin' them up:

100_3156.jpg

100_3157.jpg

That was 9:00 Thursday night.

I got up to check the plumbing at 4:00, temp was 170.

I woke up at 6:00, temmp was 174.

It went down from there, all the way down to 163. At about 11:30 it seemed to break out of the plateau around 170

100_3159.jpg

so I trimmed the point from the flat:

100_3161.jpg

Back on the cooker:

100_3163.jpg

Cooked until around 2:00 - 17 hours of cooking!

100_3166.jpg

Done and resting:

100_3168.jpg

Beautiful:

100_3169.jpg

100_3170.jpg

Meat

100_3173.jpg

Have a great night and I hope it is as good as it looks!

Dave

Comments