Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing Nomex Gasket

DrewDown
DrewDown Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on installing a nomex/aramid gasket on my XL this weekend. I have a couple questions.
1. Can I use the permatex copper for the adhesive rather than the 3M Super77? I was thinking that its higher heat rating would make for a longer lasting, better hold.

2. The gasket material is 1/8" thick. Will just installing it on the lower lip provide enough cushion/seal?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    interested to see the response - I am a new owner of an XL BGE myself - exactly 1 week old today. Did two cooks on it (will post pics in another thread) with no problems. Last night I went to make a Trex steak, and about 3/4s of the bottom gasket just came right off - total adhesive issue, the felt was not burned, not melted, etc. Just peeled right off.

The top gasket seems fine. So I am thinking of installing the nomex (dealer gave it to me for free) on the bottom and just leaving the regular felt gasket on the top.

Some people go no gasket at all from my readings, so I think if I lose the top gasket, I may just keep the nomex on the bottom with nothing on the top.

I am assuming, for now, I can have the top with regular felt and the bottom with nomex?

I have the 3m 77 spray, but curious to the responses if you can use the permatex with the Nomex.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    I used the 3M 77 on mine and have gotten the Egg to 650+ many times w/o any issues, it is in a spray can so it is easy to apply

I put it on the top & bottom so that it seals really good.

Don't forget to put the gkt in a clothes dryer for about 20 min to preshrink it.

You may want to look at Fred's Music & BBQs web site, he has a 3 part you tube video on how to put the nomex gkt on, I found it to be very helpful
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Thanks for the tip on Fred's video. I too have a replacement Nomex, and the 3M spray. I've been a little nervous to do it, so hopefully the videos will help.
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Since I am a brand new owner, I am still leery of taking off the dome. since the top gasket looks fine, I think I may just put the nomex on the bottom gasket, do about 5-6 cooks without going high temps and just leave it at that?

Anyone that idea (mixing the gaskets on top and bottom) is a major no-no?
  • I would not mix the gaskets. I saw what happened to my felt gasket when it melted. I do not want melted felt in my nomex. I am getting ready to replace my gasket and am thinking of removing all of the felt and only replacing the bottom one with nomex.
  • I have an XL and replaced both gaskets with nomex. I consider the combo until I did a pizza cook right before replacing and the top felt actually adhered to my glove and peeled off. Now I have a permanent felt mark on my leather gloves. That is when I decided to do both. As far as using the 3M spray, I sprayed it into a solo plastic cup and used one of this throw away glue brushes, thin metal tube, to apply the adhesive all around. I found I had better control of application and eliminated the overspray. Sprayed the pre- shrunk nomex on newspaper and just ran it around after about five minutes of letting the adhesive set up. Has not budged since.

As far as tackling the lid, I zip tied the hinge, loosened the bolt and had a friend help me lift it off. I placed it upside down on my ash can (20 galvanized garbage can) that I had place old towels around the edge. It sat real nice, I scrapped off the gasket and let it fall out the top opening into the ash, applied as above and had the same buddy help me lift it back on. Took all of half an hour for the whole thing.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!