Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canuck Thanksgiving Egged Turkey Effort

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading as many posts regarding Turkey roasting on the BGE. I took the plunge and offered to do the family TG dinner.

I brined the organic free run Buzzard with a Salty, Maple Syrup concoction containing Juniper Berries, pepper and Star Anise for about 24 hrs. I used a Turkey roasting bag to hold it all during that time and it worked perfectly. No muss, no fuss and no contact with air.

I used ideas from both Mad Max and J Appledog. It was a good combo decision as this was the best turkey we had ever had, hands Down!

I used the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump that I had been saving since July when I bought the egg. Good stuff, but HUGE lumps! (and a few rocks)
IMG00051-20101011-1040.jpg

IMG00052-20101011-1040.jpg

Used some broken bits from my busted refractory pizza stone to keep an air space between the Plate setter and the other pizza stone
P1020816.JPG

P1020817.JPG

slathered in Saged, herbed compound butter
P1020819.JPG

2 hours into the cook
P1020820.JPG

3 1/2 hrs. in and done!
P1020821.JPG

Trust me. It was popular! Not much left of the 18lb bird.
P1020822.JPG

Comments

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Nicely done! What temp did you cook it at? 3.5hrs for an 18lb bird is pretty quick. Mine was 19lbs and I had it on for about 5hrs @325*.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Great looking turkey BigBadger, your making me hungry.   Drool_20.gif

Blair

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    man... that looks great!
    context is important :)
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Now that's a great looking bird!

Congratulations on a successful cook!

Michael
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    It was pretty consistently 325°. I was surprised how quickly it was done too. I even calibrated the Egg Thermometer that morning which was only about 10° low. The egg however did creep up to 350° a couple of times by the end of the roasting. I did not have any stuffing inside the bird (only fruit and onions as per the Mad Max procedure). In at 12 noon and out at 3:45 so maybe a bit longer than I stated in the 1st post.
  • rosyposy
    Options
    I'm a new egger - I did a 24 pounder yesterday. I followed Mad Max' advice and put it on at 11:30 AM at 325F. Damn thing was done by 4 PM.

How does one insert photos into this forum? I click on the image button and get this:

[/img]
  • JudyFoodie
    Options
    That was similar to my results. Just a little over 4 hours for a 21 pounder at 325. The first time I did a turkey at about the same size it was closer to 7 hours like Max. What I did differently was to place the turkey a little higher out of a shallower pan for better air flow. Unfortunately, I used a new non-stick roasing pan instead of my tried and true SS pan which may have caused scorched drippings. :( Either that or the pizza stone on the spider didn't do the same thing as the platesetter alone, like I did the first time, and therefore resulting in too much air flow. The turkey itself was fantastic though!