Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Options
autiger2000
autiger2000 Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK I'm getting close to hr 16 on this 9lb beast...and my egg is barely maintaining 200 maybe 210...I have the bottom wide open the the wheel 90% open..i was @ 180 internal temp about 30min ago...Can i finish it out at 200? and get an internal of 195-200

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sounds to me like you may be out of lump and the only reason you still have 200-210 is because it takes the egg a while to cool down with no fire. If that's the case, it will just keep getting cooler and your meat won't ever get there.

If that's what is happening, I would finish it in the oven.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I agree with CarolinaQ. If your temp guage says 200-210 the grid temp is probably around 180 degrees. I think it's not possible to get meat to 195-200 if your grid temp is 180.
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    You are so close and the taste is already in it, finish it in the oven, otherwise you have to unload, clean out, and re-load. Been there done that, a good one - two hour delay, at least. War Eagle!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Good advice has been given here. It has as much smoke as it's going to get - off to the oven with it!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • autiger2000
    Options
    Thanks guys it was out...nearly cleaned out...i have in oven now...Could i put more lump in the egg and start it back up to finish it? I already cleaned it out

What temp in oven?
  • autiger2000
    Options
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    have you checked internal temp in multiple spots? is the bone (if you have a bone in) easy to almost pull out? If so, just wrap in foil and place in coller with towels until ready to pull. Keep Smokin, Dana
  • autiger2000
    Options
    Yeah it's pretty much 180 in every spot i checked
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    If you have plenty of time set your oven to 250. If you are going to be tight on time, remember you have to let it cool down to pull, then bump it up to 300.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    If your internal temperature is close to 190-200*, then you've already got the good smoke taste that you got from cooking low-n-slow in your egg...you just need a little more heat for awhile. Don't cut it short--get all the way up there before you pull it. Set your oven on 325 and finish it. Doesn't matter that the heat is provided by your oven now. Next time just fill your egg up almost to the top of your fire ring. It won't get wasted.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Prob'ly too late for more advice, but leave it in the kitchen oven. If you relight the egg, you'll have to wait to stabilize temp and and for the acrid smoke to go away - could take a while. Leave it in the oven and then enjoy. It'll be fine.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• autiger2000
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone...

It's in the oven...I figured no reason to waste the lump anyway...It's up to 185 now and is @ 300 degrees...so hopefully I can take it out and wrap it in the next hour or so...I'm at almost 17h 30m on 9lbs so i imagine the end is near
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You don't have to wrap. I never do. When it's done, I loosely cover with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes or so, then pull and eat. If it was done 4-5 hrs too early, THEN I would foil, towel and cooler the beast. Otherwise, it's not necessary.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut