Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pepper mill

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need some help here[p]one of the gifts i am buying "son-in-law" is a pepper mill[p]please help with advice and suggestions[p]thanks[p]mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey Toad,[p]I've been using William Bounds grinders for years. They're very well made, very nice designs and have a lifetime warranty.[p]Recently I broke an older grinder, sent it in and had a new grinder in my hands in about 10 days..... free.
    Good product and good company.[p]Cuppa Joe,
    John

[ul][li]William Bounds[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    cs29910.jpg
    <p />Mr. Toad,[p]William Sonoma has a decent selection, but their prices are a bit high.[p]Peugeot makes some nice ones (but, I won't buy anything French now).[p]I bought the set pictured above (salt and pepper mills) about a year ago form Kitchen Emporium (http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/29cs29910.html) and like them.[p]Smokey
    [ul][li]salt and pepper mills[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    Here are some pretty nice ones.
    Larry

[ul][li]Pepper Mills[/ul]
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    WooDoggies, I second Woo on the bounds Mills. I use my pepper mill every day and love it. My models have a quick adjustment for fine, medium and coarse grinds. Bed Bath and Beyond carries them w/a 20% discount, if you pick up a coupon. That's a cool gift.
    Scott

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Rodney, these are my favorites. You only need one hand to use the Peppergun - great for cooking and for buffets. XO JCA

[ul][li]Peppergun[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    Check Costco, last year we bought a set made by Olde Thompson, an acrylic wine bottle set. They sell on Olde Thompson website for $44, and $40 each. The set cost us $20 which was both mills, and completely full at that. our local costco desn`t have that particular set now, but they do have another set. I never paid a lot of attention to what the set is now, but based on the price we paid, it was a very good deal, and we are very happy with them...HTH[p]Wess

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Wow - who knew there where so many good peppermills.[p]After a long series of less than satisfactory mills, I found the Peppermate mills. They work great and pretty much last forever. About $40. Google Peppermate.[p]Toy Man
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Mr. Toad, i like these fine looking units

[ul][li]pepper mills[/ul]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Mr. Toad, thw one i have is located at:[p]http://kitch-n-kaffe.safeshopper.com/6/588.htm?509[p]or the link:
    [ul][li]perfex pepper mill[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]I've shopped for a new peppermill for awhile now. I have one that really sux. After handling and examining I don't know how many, I think the Perfex is the most well-made mill I've seen, including several that cost much more. It's what I'll most likely buy, when I get around to it. (Can't rush into anything you know. I've been looking for over a year! LOL)
  • Smokey,
    If it wasn't for the French you would be speaking the Queen's english.

• YB
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    I have the tall brass one...it works really well.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    Pakak,
    My wife ordered me a pepper mill she saw on the Sarah Moulton cooking show.It was hand made by Pinky Martin and took 3 years to get it.There was 748 people ahead of me when she ordered...it was worth the wait.
    Larry

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    The Atlas Pepper Mills on the link are very good. I like the brass ones.

[ul][li]Atlas Mills[/ul]
  • Pakak,
    I too have been through several useless mills for both salt and pepper. While you are waiting for the perfect mill
    I found the McCormick Pepper Grinder on the supermarket shelf does a most adequate job. The problem is that you can't refill them, so if you don't mind adding to the landfill, the price is right.
    I found a ceramic spice grinder that does great with the salt. I bought it a few years ago for $19.99, it has a glass bottom and a white top and the logo W
    MF[p]It has managed all different salts with ease.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    I like the Magnum peppermills by Unicorn. Lots of pepper, little work!

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Mr. Toad, Feel compelled to jump into this debate since I've gone thru at least 6 pepper grinders in last 5 years. Most did well for 6 months then self destructed.
    I did find a definite keeper brand. Vic Firth (They also turn wood drum sticks) He vowed to find the best innards so he could provide a life-time warranty. Spend 35 to 50 bucks once and your done.

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    bigmikej,[p] I believe these are the ones Alton Brown recommends on his website. [p]John
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Bruce,[p]Bloody alright with me mate![p]Smokey
  • YB, Hello Larry,[p]Just a quick note to Thank You for posting our website on the Big Green Egg Forum. We appreciate the mention and your compliment. You are one of an elite group who were able to get one of Pinky's Pepper Mills. As he was our inspiration, we have done our very best to carry on in his footsteps and maintain the legacy of his unique creations in a way that honors him. Our mills are made with the exact same mechanisms that he uses and our finish has been said to exceed in excellence. [p]We do no advertising and when we come across someone who has taken the time to mention our work, we do like to acknowledge that and thank them. If you are ever in need of purchasing a most unique and memorable gift, we hope that you will keep us in mind.
    Sincerely,
    Robyn & Ron McKinney

[ul][li]The Exotic Wood Pepper Mill Art Gallery[/ul]
  • bigmikej,[p]Magnum is the brand recommend by Cooks Illustrated.[p]I just started using mine, replacing a still working
    brass Turkish Mill, and it is spiiting out lots of
    chucky pepper grinds just like I like it. I recommend
    going for the large one so you do not have to mess
    with loading the pesky round peppercorns as much
    and you can really grab that puppy and turn, turn, turn ![p]http://www.peppergun.com/products/magnum_plus.html

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I made a comment about the mill I own and what I'd be interested in buying. For a heads up, I looked at mine to see if I could see a brand. I don't. However, on a link to a site someone else provided, I saw my mill. [p]Don't buy one of these![p]steel_big_pep_140.jpg[p]One really, really bad thing about them is - there is no way to adjust the coarseness of the grind. Well, twisting one direction is supposed to result in a coarse grind and twisting the opposite is supposed to result in a fine grind. Baloney.

• Smokey,
    Smokey a Torey