Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Untitled)

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    NJ-Professor,

Take a long blade razor knife and work it in between the gaskets.Go around the egg gently till you find the spots it is fused.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Carefully use a thin bladed knife and work your way around the dome. Then order a new gasket. Or do like many here, don't USE a gasket. Me? I like Rutlands.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks.....I got it open. I think I need to replace the gasket....better safe than sorry.....especially now that I'm cooking with higher heat.

Ever change one? Big deal?
  • Little Steven
    I changed a bunch. Finally gave upon them. May try the Rutland eventually.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    I like the cushioning I get from a gasket. Here's a Rutland just installed on my mini...

4954399682_3dc99541d1_b.jpg

After almost a year, my large looks like this...

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

Adhesive is Permatex Ultra Copper. Works great!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    gosh mi amigo you are quite a connoisseur :laugh: :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Beli,

Experience. :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Michael,

Yeah but I dont know a supplier for the rutland. Maybe I could find a guy say just southwest of the Chicagoland area. Say some guy that wanted to trade something he can't get locally. If there was only such a guy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Umm, I don't know nuthin' 'bout Chicago, but if u need Rutlands, I can prob'ly help you out. Talk to me...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I ordered a BGE gasket last night.

I figure that I'd start with the more friendly looking BGE type and depending on how often I need to change consider alternatives.

Is it necessary to remove the dome or can it be done while attached and opened?

How do people get away without using a gasket? Won't the dome fuse to the bottom at high temperature? (If a dome sticks with a gasket what would happen if there was none?)

In the meantime can I use the egg (low temp, etc.?) while waiting to install new gasket?

It's amazing what a flimsy gasket is used for such a heavyweight (hi-temp) item. The Rutland rope and flat gaskets look way better than simple felt but the installation process seems a bit daunting even with the great help from Naked Whiz:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/Sizing_The_Gasket.jpg

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Steve, Classic Fireplace carries Rutland gaskets. Last time I was at the Scarborough location, they had rolls and rolls of it, packaged and bulk.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Little One,

I just picked up 7 feet of the Rutland with high temp sealant (2000*) for 6 bucks. Let me know how many feet you need. ;)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    NJ-Professor wrote:
    I ordered a BGE gasket last night....

Is it necessary to remove the dome or can it be done while attached and opened?

I can't imagine successfully replacing the gasket without taking the dome off. Might be possible, but the gymnastics involved would not justify skipping the simple step of unclamping the dome.

How do people get away without using a gasket? Won't the dome fuse to the bottom at high temperature? (If a dome sticks with a gasket what would happen if there was none?)

The ceramic isn't sticking, the goo and the gasket are sticking. The temperature required to "fuse" the dome to the bottom won't occur outside a crucible and I don't think the ceramic can be refired, even if you could get it up to the necessary temperature.
    In the meantime can I use the egg (low temp, etc.?) while waiting to install new gasket?

Why not? As several here have pointed out, there are a lot of Eggs out there being used successfully without a gasket. My two are sort of present, but nearly gone.
    It's amazing what a flimsy gasket is used for such a heavyweight (hi-temp) item.

And yet, it has served thousands of us sufficiently for around 20 years. I personally am not putting anything made from fiberglass that close to anything I'm going to eat. A little wool felt never hurt the digestion of any true carnivore.
  • Can someone then explain the purpose of an egg gasket?

Gasket: The purpose of a gasket is to make a seal between 2 other surfaces,to stop fluids,oil or gases from escaping. In general, it provides a tighter fit between two pieces of an assembly, hopefully reducing the potential for leaking.
  • jeffinsgf
    Well, I think the definition you found explains its purpose perfectly. However, the need for a nearly air-tight seal in this application is the issue under debate. The oxygen entering the Egg between the top and the bottom if no gasket is present (but the top and bottom are well aligned to each other) would be minimal, and could easily be compensated for by adjusting the top and bottom vents.

I keep a felt gasket on my Eggs (replaced every 4 or 5 years) not to control the cook, but because I am clumsy and have been known to drop the lid half-way through the process of closing it.
  • (As a fellow clumsyite....) that's really funny......
  • the original purpose was to cushion the dome. but cooks quickly found out that the relatively aiir-tight environment meant great ability to control temps.

an egg need not be "air-tight", but it should have some measure of air-tightness (meaning, not leak like a sieve).

i borrowed an egg once that had no gasket, and it ran a little rich (my usual vent settings ran a little hotter). and if i used a lighter lump like cowboy, i found that it would be used up (burnt) by the morning, having continued to burn even after i shut the egg.

the denser wicked good charcoal stopped burning though, after being shut down, and there was some left the next time i went to light it.

no gasket means some adjustment might be required in your 'normal' vent settings (if it leaks, i mean), and you might not want to fill it beyond what you use for the cook (because you might find you are wasting lump, because shut-down isn't as rapid).

but it's doable.

i just slapped on a rutland, with silicone gasket maker/adhesive, and haven't looked back.
  • Very helpful info.

I already ordered the BGE gasket but will go Rutland next time. My only hesitance is being able to get the dome off since the screw holding band seems really rusted.

BTW, can how can I continue to use the worn gasket that got stuck without worrying of a repeat?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Carolina Q
    Most people install the Rutland on the bottom. Piece of cake.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nothing on the top?
  • Little Steven
    Thanks Adam,

I can get it here. I was hoping RRP would see the post :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jeffinsgf
    NJ-Professor wrote:
    BTW, can how can I continue to use the worn gasket that got stuck without worrying of a repeat?

Thanks,
    Steve

Let me ask a question...did either the top or bottom gasket peel off when you separated them? If they did not, there's no reason to replace them. You got some barbecue sauce or something on the gasket and it stuck. It's not the end of the world. Clean it up and keep cooking.

You seem to be trying to make this much, much more difficult than it really is.
  • I do that with everything,,,, :unsure:

What would you use to clean?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Carolina Q
    Correct.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut