Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EZBB Ribs Thirdeye Style

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

EZBB Ribs Thirdeye Style, Thanks thirdeye, these are some of the best ribs I have cooked so far. I did them entirely on the egg but that doesn't change much.

My rib set up, indirect, apple and cherry for smoke.
DSCN6732A_640.jpg

Just after going on. Brushed with mustard and rubbed. I misted them with half apple juice concentrate and half apple cider vinegar roughly every half hour for the first three hours.
DSCN7079A_640.jpg

One hour on.
DSCN7085A_640.jpg

Two hours on.
DSCN7087A_640.jpg

Yup , you guessed it . . . 3 hours on.
DSCN7089A_640.jpg

Pulled to foil.
DSCN7092A_640.jpg

Brown sugar, squeezable Parkay margarine and honey. Place meat side down in sugar, margarine and honey and wrap well in heavy duty foil.
DSCN6939A_640.jpg

Stacked them like fire wood, meat side down instead of trying to put them back in the V rack. I re arranged them half way through after 30 minutes.
DSCN7097A_640.jpg

The finished ribs.
DSCN7109A_640.jpg

DSCN7099A_640.jpg

DSCN7111A_640.jpg

DSCN7115A_640.jpg

DSCN7120A_640.jpg

These were heavy, meaty ribs, just shy of 10 pounds for the three racks so I gave them a 3-1 at about 285º. Next time I can probably cut my times a little. I'll know better as I eat these. This was the first time I have tried Frontier lump. It had been sitting under my trailer all summer wrapped up in a trash bag. When I got it out the 20# bag felt damp but when opened it looked fine and was. I thought it burned a little hotter and faster then the Royal Oak that I am used to. Seams like good stuff.

Gator

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Looking good Blair. I've use thirdeye's method a lot and they always come out great. I'm making a couple racks of spare's tomorrow.
  •  
    Thanks Dale, I haven't tried spares yet, glad to hear this method works for them also. This has been the best method I have tried yet . . . I think. Time will tell, this is my first time using thirdeye's method. :cheer:

Blair

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Gator Bait,
    I have seen several post of aluminum foil on the main grid and have a couple questions. Are you putting that covering the areas around the plate setter or what? I have seen this 3 figured placed foil on the grid and have wondered why. The only explanation I have came up with is to surround the plate setter where the legs are not????? Thanks for the help
  •  
    Hi Mike, you are correct. The foil helps deflect the heat coming up between the legs on the plate setter. That heat is enough to burn anything that is not protected from it. The foil is not perfect but does help a lot, for some reason the far right end of the V rack is still hottest so I still have to re arrange the ribs now and then as the ones on that end get darker faster then the others. I also re arrange so the top edge gets rotated as the temperature in an indirect cook will be hotter higher up in the dome. This is due to the heat coming up around the grate, plate setter and everything else and rising into the dome. I'm not sure if you can see it in my photos but it is the top edge that darkens the fastest. LOL, at least that has been my experience, I may get flamed for it. :lol:

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Blair, Glad you liked them. I've made them once. I made spares many times. You have a lot of eating to do and if you dig a shallow trench in your garden spot and drop a few bones in it and cover them up guess what will be growing this Spring. :whistle:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Whoa, good job. Those look plenty moist and you got a nice ring on them too! And say, I've been known to stack them like fire wood myself.... Hehehee.

manninggraduation015a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  •  
    Hi Tim, I think the higher temperatures in this method helps for some reason. I have noticed that higher temperatures have given me better results in the past. I will continue to experiment. Hahahahaha, if I plant bones around here I'll be sprouting Raccoons by morning. :lol:

Blair

•  
    Thanks thirdeye, I was going to sauce them on the egg but they were done. That's a mess of ribs in your oven! That's more like cord wood. :lol: I was happy that worked, it's hard enough fitting that many ribs in my medium egg without foiling them.

Thanks again,

Blair
  • Blair, that looks 3 hour drive worthy - you are perfecting them, as I knew you would!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  •  
    Thanks Faith, I'm getting closer. I tortured myself by eating steaks all week so I would be ready for some ribs this weekend. It's getting to be time for some chicken to land on the egg so I will be ready to experiment with ribs again before too long. :lol:

Blair

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hey Blair, um we love ribs and will be hitting Port Charlotte about nov 9 or 10 :)we do need to get together this winter for dinner some time :) would love to have you up!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Fiiiiine lookin ribz gaitor! Great job and awesome pix! :woohoo:
  •  
    Good Morning Julie

Is that an invitation to come up so you can teach me how to do them right? :lol: I hope so, I still have a lot to learn and you my dear are a master. You and Faith are awesome cooks and I hope to catch up with both of you and Niel this winter. Travel safe Julie, the migration started on Labor Day this year and is in full swing.

Blair

•  
    Thanks Eggtucky, I'm still learning and thirdeye's method after my first try looks like a good one. There is a lot of room for experimenting with ribs and I hope I can get them just right. I hope. :lol:

Blair

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Those ribs look fantstic. The pictures are so good I can almost taste the ribs. ;) I never have tried that method. Thanks for sharing.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  •  
    Thanks Dave, I have been experimenting with ribs all summer and thirdeyes method looks like a good one. By the time I perfect them I will probably be sick and tired of them. :laugh:

Blair

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Blair those are some good looking ribs...wowwwwwww look at that smoke ring & the pull
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Those ribs look great! I have to try that method soon :)
    It looks like we may need a Gulf Coast Mini-Fest this winter, what do you think? :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Very nice pictorial and the ribs look fantastic.

Kent
  •  
    Thanks Frank, a gulf coast mini?!?! Now there's food for thought! :cheer:

Blair

•  
    Thanks Beli, ribs are a lot of work, if I can get them perfect the effort will be worth the while. These were nice big, meaty ribs to begin with so that helped. :)

Blair

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Blair, you are on your way to becoming a rib virtuoso! :) The photos are mouth watering.
  •  
    Thanks Kent, I hope and pray you are feeling 100% these days.

Blair

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

and thank you. Mentally I feel great. Physically I feel like I have through a couple of cycles in the tumble dryer :). All in all I am doing pretty good.

A half rack of those ribs you have there would make life much better.

Be well. Kent
  •  
    Hi Rebecca,

Thank you ma'am, I think ribs have to be great or they are just to much work. If they were easy to cook I don't think there would be so many methods. The photos are all part of the fun, if I can make them as mouth watering as my cook I have done both well . . . I hope. :laugh:

Blair

•  
    Feeling great mentally is at least half the battle my friend. Having much of the family close by has to be a blessing too. It's good to hear your progressing well. We survive and it makes us smile. :)

Blair