Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egret's Maple-Burbon Ham

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've volunteered to provide the ham at a December feed we're putting on. Been reading the feedback on Egret's recipe for Maple-Burbon Ham in the BGE cook book. Anyone in here have any experience with it? Some use those already spiral cut hams, which I must say are pretty good even if served as is. Is this recipe worth the time it takes to smoke the ham?...and I need to privide 30 to 35 servings. How big a ham would that be?

Tanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    yes it is excellent and well worth the effort. I though prefer the conventional non-sliced ham so when I inject it the syrup stays inside instead of slip sliding right out the spiral cuts!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    another hint regarding that recipe. It suggests rubbing the paste on the outside and then letting it sit overnight. In order to keep the Saran wrap off the paste I stick broken toothpicks like this and then tent it with wrap!
    IMG_1195-1.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg
  • Great idea!

Got an estimate for me about how much ham I'll need for 30 to 35 servings. On pulled pork, I have calculated that one 9 pound butt will make 20 sandwich-servings. Should I estimate about the same number with ham? There will be sweet potato soufle, green beens and some bread to go on each plate too. Thanks. Oh...Did you use an already cooked ham, and did you still smoke it for 5 hours?
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    If you follow Egrets recipe without changes, you will be amazed how good it is. RRPs toothpick idea is a good one, btw. :) I also agree with him on the spiral sliced ham. Use a regular ham.
  • Thanks Guys. I'll stick to his recipe, and use PPR's tooth picks too.
  • RRP
    yes I always use a pre-cooked, pre-smoked ham. Another little trick is I trim off any thick outer layer of fat, because a good part of the attributes to this recipe is that glaze so that way the glaze stays on and doesn't get trimmed off after the cook! As for quantity of a serving I'd just be guessing - maybe one of the catering eggers will chime in here!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Use one of these.

shankhalf.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I like and use the spiral cut ham. After tossing a very costly and a not very costly injectors I found using my hands and rubbing good into the spiral cut - it worked very well.
    Have done 2 non-spiral cut and now 3 spiral cuts. I will stay with the spiral cut.
    I do go with Steve on the Cooks Ham - outstanding....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have found I like using the spiral cut ham for groups. As a rough estimate I figure 1/2 lb of meat per person when you are serving a full meal. I use the rub in marinade method as well as the toothpicks to keep the wrap off. Great recipe.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    A typical serving of meat is 4 ounces in a buffet setting. How much you need will be greatly influenced by how much other stuff is served.

With that as a basis, 35 servings would be 8.75 pounds.

My guess is that for a big feed in December that would result in some nice leftovers.
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    I agree with the traditional butt method and not a spiral cut.