Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First butt cooking now ... need advice.

redneck6497redneck6497 Posts: 177
edited 5:37AM in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I am cooking a 4.5 lb. butt right now. Its been on for 1.5 hrs, and started at 50 degrees. Its at 130 now! I am using a dome temp of 260 with a platesetter, and a tray in the middle. Should I cut it down??
·

Comments

• Rick GRick G Posts: 166
    No, you should be good to go....good luck
    ·
  • Excellent! I am amazed at how easy it is to regulate the temp. This is my first "anything" low and slow on the egg.

For shredded pork, cook it to 180? I have seen so many ways of doing it, its a little confusing....some say to wrap it in tin foil, etc.
    ·
  • Excellent! I am amazed at how easy it is to regulate the temp. This is my first "anything" low and slow on the egg.

For shredded pork, cook it to 180? I have seen so many ways of doing it, its a little confusing....some say to wrap it in tin foil, etc.
    ·
    your right so many different ideas from so many different people. The way I do it is I go to 195, wrap it in foil, wrap it in a couple old towels and stick it in a cooler for about an hour to rest. after the rest it is ready to shred or "pull" and eat. I am sure others will have ideas different than mine but this is how I do mine it works great for me.
    ·
    one more thing....dont get impatient and bump up the temp...it may take a while to get there but it will...keep it around 250 and you will be all set
    ·
  • Sounds good. I have all day. I am just enjoying this SC weather! I'll wait until 195, and I WON'T bump it up! Thanks for the advice!
    ·
  • This always happens. The temp initially zooms up to the 150-160 range and then almost stops for the next few hours.
    ·
  • i did my first low and slow a monght ago on a 3 pound butt. didn't trust the temp control of the vents. Did a 6 pounder last week overnight.. It was fantastic, The tmep stability of the egg is just amazing.

Went to bed at midnight, got up at 7, temp was still at 250. and the but was nearly done.. try not to peek!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • Rich, Steve, and Rick,

Thanks for responding! The butt is sittin at about 180 right now. I noticed that every once in a while it cools down a little. So, I open up little more, and then it stabilized and I cut it back down a little.

It smells amazing, and you're right....its hard not to want to sneak a peek.

Rich, you're right...it rockets up to about 150, and then kinda creeps the rest of the way.
    ·
  • I just took it off at 195 ..... WOW! it looks, smells, and yes (i had to try a little). tastes amazing! Notice the little chunk I pulled off.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg
    ·
    Looks AWESOME!! good job!!
    ·