Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

creative ways to cook ribs on the large

MemphistideMemphistide Posts: 207
edited 8:50PM in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a lot of ribs on my large tomorrow. If anyone has some creative pictures of how to get them on there, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,495
    chef wil did 20 something racks standing on the lower grid, no rib rack, just kept swaying them back and forth during the cook. two racks can fit alot of racks, alot more than im showing

DSC_0062.jpg
  • How many racks?
    Baby backs or spares?

I have easily done 6 full racks of BBs on my large.
  • 6 baby....how did you fit them? any special trick?
  • I cut the BB racks into 6/4 bone smaller racks (12).
    Spider with pizza stone on that. Adjustable rig with drip pan on lowest level and large grid on top level. Ribs on edge and stacked in and around a V-rack.
    EDIT: After reviewing the pics, I think I did that cook using the platesetter with the drip pan on spacers and the grid on top of that. My bad :whistle:
    DSC_0015.jpg
    Moved them around each time I spritzed.
    DSC_0016.jpg
    For saucing, I removed the drip pan and put them bones-down on two layers, using the adjustable rig. Can barely see the lower layer in the pic.
    DSC_0021.jpg
    CWM (Car Wash Mike)'s technique is the best! Link below:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html
  • awesome...thanks a ton.....when you use the spider and stone for the defuser, do you not get hot tips on the ribs?
  • I think the pizza stone that low in the egg creates a pretty good "shadow" of blocked direct heat. One can put pieces of foil to extend the edges under the ribs.
  • 20racks.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
  • indirect with plate setter
    cut off at least 2 ribs off each rack so they fit in the rib rack
    put the extra pieces on top of the racks
  • Chef Wil did those a few years ago, well before TJV started making his accessories. I'm betting it would be easy to go for 40 with his setup.

Spring "Rib Bones Connected To My Finger Bones" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA