Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What else do I need

Options
Cagey
Cagey Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had the new large egg delivered this afternoon. I spoke with Tom at the ceramic grill store. He suggested I purchase the Woo3 with Woo3 extender and oval stone. I am going to add the 13 inch stone for indirect cooks.

I already have a low end wire thermometer, and an instant thermometer. I will get a guru or a comparison model down the road.

I would like to know from you folks that have used the egg for some time now, what else you would suggest to go with the above items?

Thanks for the input in advance.

Cagey

Comments

• Adult ADHD
    Options
    Plate setter, long tongs and good high temp gloves are my most used items,
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would sure get a spyder from Tom.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    LOTSA GROCERIES! ;) Oh and charcoal.You'll need that too,and all sorts of sauces and seasonings!Hope you enjoy the new EGG! ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Cagey, the woo 3 is a good start and other than a thermapen I would cook for a bit and you'll know what fits your needs. I wasted $$ on a lot of generic junk at first that I didn't need then over the years added the things I did need and use.
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    Tom is a great guy to deal with. I bought everything he makes for large Egg (adj rig, extender, spider, 4 grids-oval/round,wok, pizza stones, drip pans, slider combo(I love), everything). Maybe you talked to him about specifically what you plan to cook, but the adjustable rig(I would suggest the combo kit which includes the adj rig, drip pan, spider and pizza stone for $149) he sells is a lot more versatile than the Woo3 (can do everything the Woo can and a lot more). The adj rig also can be upgraded to include more accessories(I bought them all--love them). Like I said, maybe Tom talked to you and both of you decided that the Woo is all you need. Either way, he is a great person/company to deal with and the product is top notch.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    bigchief.jpg

A notebook.

Record all the details of your cooks. Preparation, set-up, type of flavor wood, pit temp, cook time, food temps, texture, taste, what you liked, what you didn't like, what others liked, what they didn't like... you get the idea.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Deckhand
    Options
    Insulated food handling gloves or at least a pair of welders gloves for removing the hot plate setter or pizza stone.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    ...my two cents; start with the basics of a platesetter and pizza stone. the notebook and groceries are the best recommendations in this thread so far.

Don't rush in, just cook for awhile before you plunk dowm denaros on things like a woo, spider or thermapen etc.

Lots of options (and opinions) out there but only YOU know what your style and favorites will be and that will lead you to what you want or need eventually.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BigBadger
    Options
    I got a chimney and starter squares which work great but they are too slow for my liking. A good Bernz-o-matic MAP torch/canister set with instant-on is the way to go.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have the woo3, I use it the most in my large. I dont really use the platesetter unless I am doing pizza. I bought the woo3 because it was cheaper, and I wanted a raised grid. I still plan on getting the adjustable rig, the woo3 works perfectly in my bubba keg, so no loss on having both.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    This is more something you can do... Get a little varnish or outdoor urethane and give your handle a couple of coats. The handle gets pretty dingy right away.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I finally decide on getting the adjustable rig combo package plus a 16 large pizza stone , as I saw it being used at the FL minifest and had originally planned on getting it before talking with Tom. Everything I have read on the site, says the adjustable rig gives you more options in the long run.

I thank all of you for sharing your inputs with me. I look forward to the new toys arriving and having the chance to use them all. I will make sure that I record my cooking success in a notebook.

Cagey