Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Turkey Done Real Quick

Options
StubbyQ
StubbyQ Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just did a 13.67 pound fresh turkey on the BGE and it got done in 3 hours. Seems mighty quick but it's falling off the bone so I took it off. I did 325* with BBQ Guru meat set at 185° and pit at 325°, non-ramp mode. Anyone have any idea why this bird got done so fast? I also used a Spanek vertical roaster to stick the bird on. Maybe the vertical roaster made it cook faster. Puzzled in League City.

Comments

• usa doug
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    I like to cook my turkeys real quick at about 350 degrees.
    They don't have time to dry out. Most of the time, you are not going to get a lot of smoke in a turkey without sacrificing moisture and tenderness.

• David from RI
    Options
    StubbyQ,[p]
    That doesn't sound unreasonable for the turkey to be done in that amount of time. At 15 minutes per # it would have been 3.5 hours.[p]I used convenction ovens , which I think the Egg mimics , and the cooking time was always quicker.[p]MHO[p]David

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    StubbyQ,[p]Dude, I did a ten pounder vertical and indirect on sunday at 325ish and it finished in just over 90 minutes. [p]It sucked and was overdone, which I did not understand. I think the bird's butt missed a half full beer can. LOL
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    Last Thanksgiving lots of us posted messages about how quickly our birds cooked. Fresh cooks a lot faster, especially if you brine. Ignore your mothers advice about how long it takes to cook a Butterball and get used to the 3 hour turkey.

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    StubbyQ, If you used a Spanek vertical roaster, your turkey was likely over done. According to the Spanek web site, a 15 pounder should take 2 to 2.5 hours to cook.[p]I'll be doing a 15 pounder with a Spanek this holiday.