Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Butts

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,082
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few pictures of what we cooked on the Egg for our guests on Labor Day. Two pork shoulders, one 7 pounds, one 5 pounds. Dome temp was 220-230 overnight, bumped up to 250-270 after 12 hours.

7 PM Sunday, on the Egg they go:
meaton.jpg

17 hours and 14 min later ready to come off, 45 min ahead of my estimated time:
DSC01177.jpg
DSC01175.jpg

The hound dogs were to be keeping guard, two of them decided it was too hot and headed for the shade. Gordon on the top left recently overcame lymphoma, so he gets some slack. Buddy (Beagle Basset mix) on top right is a foster and still learning the house rules. Ashleigh on the bottom is well versed in protecting the food. Does not leave her post even when it gets warm, a very fine Beagle:
houndguards.jpg

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it. Good looking pups too.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    thats a lot o meat there...I just can't bring myself to get into the low and slow cooking yet, especially sans a fan control device or similar crutch. Someday!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • stevesails
    Options
    i did a butt a couple of weeks ago. did it during the day so I could watch the temp. it was only a 3 pounder. took everybit of 6-7 hours at 250. once I had the vents set, the temp didn't budge.

If you are hesitant and concerned about the egg holding temp over a long period. Practice with one during the day. or just fire it up and let it run all night at 250 without any food. I bet you find that it will hold all night without you touching it, Providing you let it get going and settle in for an hour.

and at 2-2.50 a pound you can cook a 3-6 pounder overnight. If it doesn't come out, not much money wasted, and when it comes out great, you and family will say "WOW".

this cooking device is amazing, I had the same concerns and i have learned in 6 months that just set it and forget it.

No peeking!!!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Great post. ;)

I gotta know one thing.

When are you going to give yourself up? :ermm: