Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The other day...

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I put up a post about what type of meat do you like for steaks. The only requirement was taste and tenderness.

The reason was due to this fillet.
filletmignon.jpg

My daughter in law loves fillet. So I picked up a prime fillet and did a 800° sear then the roast. It was done to just under medium - warm pink center.

The cut was not all that tasteful and it was not tender at all. I understand the taste but was completely surprised about the cut not being tender.

Until now I haven't had time to follow up on that post.

GG

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Personal opinion -- prime grade filet is a waste of money. The prime grade is given based on marbling of the meat. There isn't enough marbling in a tenderloin, even prime grade, to make it worth the markup.

Choice grade filet is plenty good for the money.

That said, sometimes you get a piece of beef regardless of cut or grade, that just isn't tender no matter what you do. Any chance yours had been previously frozen?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for the input.

There was no marbling in the cut. I am not sure if the store had previously frozen the meat or if the meat came into the store frozen.

I am going to give it another try and make sure the fillet has not been frozen and get a choice cut.

I sure didn't expect this cook to come out as it did.

Kent
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Options
    I buy prime about once a month.

One thing that I do is inspect the meat before I agree to buy. My butcher has better looking Prime meats at some times than at others. I guess it depends on the source.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would have to think this was more the to do with this cut of meat.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    when you did the roasting, what was the temp. ive noticed, and seen mentioned, that if the roasting is done at a lower temp, say 325/350 it is more tender, almost mushy. last one i did was off the grill around 125 internal . was a ribeye, things were not ready and it sat on the table wrapped in foil about a half hour or more and it came out medium, it was mushy but those that like very tender seem to like that.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it