Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, low temp w/placesetter

Options
DDMAP
DDMAP Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE for 1 1/2 weeks and cooked several times but used the place setter for the first time yesterday. I could not get the temp to go over 300F.
I had upper vent wide open and lower draft door all way open. I had previously heated the BGE to 550 before adding the place setter. Can someone give me advice? Thks

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    It sucks a lot of heat from the egg. Your high temps will just take longer to get there. Put it in immediately after you light your lump then plan on 45 min to 1 hr to get everything nice and hot.
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    Congratulations on your purchase, and I hope you enjoy it.

It will take a little longer for the dome temperature to rise with the plate setter in, but it shouldn't be difficult to get it there. You want to make sure that the holes in the fire grate are not plugged, and there isnt too much ash in the bottom. Otherwise just have a little patience.

Good luck.
  • walrusegger
    Options
    Take the daisy wheel up top completely off.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    DDMAP: Put the platesetter in as soon as you know your fire is well established, so the egg and the internal ceramics (platesetter) come up to heat together. Also, I make sure I put the legs/spokes of the platesetter at 12/4/8 o'clock positions, so there is an open space below the dome thermo. Haven't actually tested to see if it makes a difference, but it makes sense to me not to have ceramic below the thermometer. Hope this helps! Patience grasshopper.... And welcome! :)