Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone know the secret to whole wheat pizza crust???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every time I try to make whole wheat pizza dough it ends up tough and I get very little rise. I use a dough recipe that calls for 3 cups of flour and I substitute 1 of those cups with whole wheat flour. Any suggestions...[p]
Bullet Bob

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]I hope you get some good answers, because I have the same results as you. Any one have a recipe that includes some honey?
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Bullet Bob, This recipe is Mr Hyde's and was posted by his wife QBabe. I have modified it by substituting 1 cup of white flour with 1 cup of wheat. I also only use 3 cups toatal of flour. I have found that you can significantly reduce the rising times if your hungry. Finally, I cook at 450, not 550. Just a preference. I have had nothing but success with this awesome recipe. Good luck, Scott[p]Well, it took a while for me to get it all written up, but here is Mr. Hyde's Pizza Recipe for those who asked.... [p]For the Dough...
    1 pkg. active dry yeast (NOT the Rapid Rise kind)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (105° - 115°)
    3 1/3 cups high gluten flour (King Arthurs)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp extra virgin olive oil [p]In a 2-cup measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, maybe 3-5 minutes. Using a food processor with the dough blade attached, add flour, salt and 2 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Using the dough setting, pour the yeast liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour will absorb it. Process until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Continue to process about 30 more seconds to knead the dough. Put a little olive oil on your hands and lift the dough out. Coat the dough with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil, transfer to a large Ziploc bag and seal bag. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour. Punch dough down and let rise a second time (another hour). When ready, put a little olive oil on your hands and remove dough from Ziploc bag. Cut into two pieces and form into 2 dough balls. Place dough balls on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten into 2 discs (about 1” thick). Let proof uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight. Makes two 14” pizzas. Meanwhile, prepare toppings for pizzas. [p]When ready, set cooker up for an indirect cook with platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top. Preheat cooker, setter, and stone to 550°. While cooker is preheating, spray pizza screen with Pam and make pizzas. [p]
    Enjoy,
    Tonia
    :~) [p][p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Steve-B, the recipe I just posted can use anything as the sugar (which feeds the yeast). I use turbinado sugar, but honey is just as good.[p]Scott

• EggMaster
    Options
    Bullet Bob,
    The key to better dough is to add 1/4 cup of wheat gluten, or you can use a Best for Bread flour that has a high gluten/protein content, Hodgson Mill is the brand I use. Make sure you are using enough yeast and that your yeast is alive, you can add honey up to a 1/4 cup if you like it sweet but I always use simple sugar to start the yeast it builds faster. Make sure that you knead your dough until it springs back when you poke it with your finger. You can also steam the oven to proof the bread when you are trying to get it to rise, place a metal bowl of water in your oven, turn it on to 250f until it steams the inside of the oven, turn the oven off, put your dough in a bowl coated with olive oil and put a towel over the top let it rise at least(in the oven) one hour or until it has doubled in bulk. HTH

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    EggMaster,[p]In addition, to what BB suggest find a good Italian deli/grocery and look for Farina double "OO" wheat flour.[p]Works well!!

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Bullet Bob,[p]I've been having good luck using King Arthur brand "White 100% Whole Wheat" flour for almost all the baking I do. It seems to behave much more like white flour than whole wheat in most of the bread-type applications I've tried.[p]Bob
  • Bullet Bob,[p]Found this website recently.[p]www.pizzamaking.com[p]They seem to be really dedicated to their craft.[p]Like us !