Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this an old Egg?

Options
nlsteve
nlsteve Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks:

Can anybody tell me if this is an old BGE?

http://picasaweb.google.com/smarschke/BGE#

If so, then I spend $140 on a new firebox tomorrow, followed by some other parts and some new paint. But if not, I ain't gonna bother, since I want to cook at high temps as well as low, and I don't trust any old kamado to do that.

Much thanks to those of you who chipped in on my earlier posts on this unit.

Thanks, deepsouth, for the friendly bumps!

I sent an email inquiry to the BGE company asking if this is one of their old units, but haven't heard back yet.

Steve

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Steve,

Yes it is old. I would bet it's not ceramic but clay. Unless it has been exposed to a lot of sun and weather. I wouldn't count on a lot of high temp cooks with it. That said it has the same opening mechanism as my first did and it was ceramic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if it is ceramic, your not doing high temp cooks with that cracked dome
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That is fire clay and not ceramic. With the cracked dome I would run, not walk away from that deal.
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    You will spend more in repairs than the cost of a new egg..
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    nlsteve wrote:
    Hi folks:

Can anybody tell me if this is an old BGE?

http://picasaweb.google.com/smarschke/BGE#

If so, then I spend $140 on a new firebox tomorrow, followed by some other parts and some new paint. But if not, I ain't gonna bother, since I want to cook at high temps as well as low, and I don't trust any old kamado to do that.

Much thanks to those of you who chipped in on my earlier posts on this unit.

Thanks, deepsouth, for the friendly bumps!

I sent an email inquiry to the BGE company asking if this is one of their old units, but haven't heard back yet.

Steve

no worries.
  • nlsteve
    Options
    From the OP

I already mentioned this on a related thread:

BGE tells me this was indeed an old BGE, but made of "fire clay" and not designed for work above about 400 degrees.

So I am going to pass on fixing it up. Will re-sell it, with full disclosure.

Thanks for the good advice here, guys.

Steve