Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pittsburg Style Steak - how to get the best crust?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to BGE life - several months, use 1 to 2 times per week. Good eatin' includes pork chops, chicken, brisket, salmon, steaks, prime rib. The results have all been great because of the BGE , but also thanks to TRex and others who have posted such great info! I owe a lot of good eatin' to your archives.[p]However, I want a great Pittsburg style steak and I've yet to get a crust like a steak house steak. Since, I like crust, searching the achives just raises more questions:[p] For great crust / sear:[p] - Use olive oil, clearifed butter, dry rub or mustard? Which gives the best crust?[p] - An iron skllet in the BGE seems to work a bit better than searing directly on the BGE grill, but could searing be done better on the stove in a skillet? Then finish in the BGE after the TRex 20 minute relax wait?

You pro's who are getting a great crust - what's the best method?[p]Much thanks![p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charles,
    i've done a modified T-rex many times using a cast iron skillet directly in the egg. .. i have an old cast iron pizza pan (about 10 inches in diameter). .. i put that directly on the grid as the egg is heating up, so that when the egg is over 800 degrees, so is the pan. .. then i take steaks (brushed with olive oil, kosher salt and rub of choice, usually dizzy cowlick), and put them on the cast iron pan for the same time i would do a trex (nominally 90 seconds per side for a 1 1/2 inch steak, 2 minutes per side for a 2 inch steak). . .gives the steak a great crust. ..then i pull the pan when i pull the steaks for the 20 minutes rest and finish them in typical trex fashion. . . careful though, cause when the steaks hit that hot cast iron, there is spittin and flames and all kinds of foolishness going on. . ..also, i really like this method for filet mignion more so than sirloins. ..just personal taste. ...

• Hey mad max beyond eggdome![p]Much thanks for the reply!! [p]I have tried the skillet in the BGE - TRex style with a strip and while the crust is good....could be better. I haven't tried it yet with a filet, but I bet the skillet does a much better crust on a tender filet than a strip.

I use olive oil, salt, etc, heat the skillet as the BGE heats up, etc as you say. Some questions:[p]- Do you get a great crust on a strip? If so, must be my pan or temp management.[p] - Is your cast iron pizza (?) pan the same thickness as the usual cast iron pan (like I use) or is it thinner?[p] - My pan is a bit larger than 10 " (Maybe 12" - And, I have a large Egg). The temp often doesn't stay at 750 - 800 after the 1st flip. (I 've noticed in general the more stuff cooking on the grid / blocking air flow, the more difficult to maintain the higher temps.) Do you way over shoot 750 - 800 before you start - how much?[p]I am new, but I've been working / enjoying this BGE a lot. This crust thing is something I can do much better. And, crust is sooooo important to a really great steak. Any ideas of what I might could do better? Much thanks.[p]Best![p] [p][p]