Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Byron\'s Butt Rub and tough bark

FatMike
FatMike Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a pork but last night on the BGE and used the Butt Rub for the 1st time. 16 hours later pulled the butt at a 195 internal and pulled. The bark was quite tough to chew. Salty but good if you could chew it. Has anyone else had this experience with Byron's butt rub?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Yes. Byrons is not a rub that you can put on in a thick coating. It is high in salt content. Great light rub for ribs, but on a butt, where you want a nice bark, we find it WAYYY to salty! I don't for a moment think he intended it to be a rub used liberally, as we do with most, high in sugar, rubs these days. It offers great flavors, but not when used heavily.
  • FatMike
    You nailed it LC. I coated it like I do with the dizzy products. Well I took most of the bark off before serving so at least I have some Jerky for the rest of the week..LOL Thanks for your response
  • FatMike
    just realized I spelled tough wrong. (tought-LOL) Must be this damn cheap beer. Where is that edit button :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have a large shaker of it and, I used it once and now it just sit's there. :ohmy: I don't know what to use it for. I thought about doctoring it up but not sure how and then I have invested more in this rub and may not use it. I knew there are some folks who love it and thats cool. Maybe I can pick them this christmas and let them have it. :woohoo: ;) Tim
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    wingsextender3.jpg

mix it with turbinado sugar, 1/3 to 1/2 turb. sugar to 2/3 to 1/2 butt rub for wings. the more rub used, the spicier the wings.

cook direct up in dome 375 to 400 till crispy. they may get a little gooey while cooking as the sugar does its thing but will end up crispy, hour to hour 15 cook time usually.

I think I'm going to do some and dunk 'em in gibson's white sauce......spicy and tangy wings.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Anytime you have a rub you don't care for, try it as a brine mix. Take a pint of hot water and mix in a couple of tablespoons of the rub to dissolve. Add another pint of iced water to chill it down. Add a few cubes of ice if needed. Then brine some pork chops or chicken breasts and see how you like them. Sometimes if it's a salty rub, you might want to add some additional brown sugar.

If you have several you don't like (or just partial jars you want to use up so you can buy fresh) combine them in a mason jar to use for brining. The only downside to this is that if you like it.... you will never be able to duplicate it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Tom I will give it a try. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Next time I brine something i'll give it a try. Thanks Thirdeye

Tim
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    and never had a problem? Just coated with mustard, and a good dose of BBBR. I used quite a bit, just like i would w/DD and didn't notice it being to salty. It's my favorite rub for pulled pork...
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    I use it most every time on pulled pork and get varying results. Never to salty for me eventhough I do coat it heavily and love it. My last cook did produce some really tough bark and I took the "extreme" bark, put in a blender, and made the equivalent of bacon bits. Wife puts them on my salads. Of course I prefer the easily edible bark, but when you get the occasional tough one, there are some other options for the bark when it is too tough.
  • 2Fategghead
    fatmike, I was wondering if you rubbed your butts just before the cook or did they get rubbed several hours before the cook?
  • FatMike
    I rubbed the butt right before putting it on the egg. I did coat it pretty good with the rub tho
  • 2Fategghead
    OK I was wondering if your butt had rub on it for a long time and the salt did a number on it making the bark tough. Tim :)
  • taste buds are funny things...
    we are "salt sensitive" here at the Desert Oasis and find most commercial product reeking of heavy doses....
    however, BBBR is one of the few I would actually purchase! Won a jar at the OKC Eggfest and really find it much less saltier than many of the other commercial rubs --
    like said above, taste buds are funny things!

also combine "ends" of rubs, commercial or homemade, and use on butts or ribs...will have to try the brine method for a change!