Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's filets.

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We bought them at Costco and they were oh so good. Cut like butter, even though they were a little more done than I like. The sear near the coals was great.

005-42.jpg

004-42.jpg

Plated with a baked potato and classic wedge salad with blue cheese dressing. Exceptional dinner!

006-34.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Oh dem look delicious. :P Tim
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Now I'm really hungry.
  • Yum
    Yum Posts: 4
    Options
    Did you drop the fire ring to get the steaks closer to the coals? I cooked some steaks the other day with the grill on the ring and I got the grill up to about 700 but the flames were out of control. Did you get the coals really hot then close it down to minimize the flare up?
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    It's more or less your technique!
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    It was up to 700 then I dropped it to 550. Put the grid from our boat gas grill on coals and seared them about 90 seconds a side. Then put the regular grid on and shut all the vents and let them roast for about 5 minutes. They were fairly lean steaks, so no flare up issues.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Teresa, great lookin' steak - just the way I like 'em!!

For next time, if you're searing on the coals, all you need is a dome temp of 400°. It's much hotter at lump level. After the sear, remove the steak, add your normal grid and give it a few minutes to heat up. Then put the meat back on for the roast. No waiting for temps to get nuclear or for them to drop back down. I've been doing it for a while now and love it! If you feel the 20 minute TRex rest is beneficial, you can wait (though I don't), but you can still do the entire cook at 400° max dome.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't mean to be in your amen pew Michael but I sear with my spider all the time at 400 dome and set the ar in for the roast. Easy peasy. Tim :P
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like a perfect saturday dinner Teresa!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Actually that was Friday's dinner. Making seared ahi tonight but not on the egg (shame :pinch: ). Went to a farmer's market out of town today and picked up some great stuff.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    hahaha, like you title says..... :laugh:
    Climbed another mountain and I'm delerious. :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Nice looking meal Teresa

Ross
  • Waterscapes
    Options
    Looks great. I will have to try sometime.