Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My pork butt plateud at 163!!!

Options
CAEggFan
CAEggFan Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first butt and 6hr into this thing (4lb butt) and i just put Maverick in to check temp and I'll be damn if it didn't read 163! You guys are right on. I'll be curious how long it'll take to get beyond.

I'm pulling off grill at 195 deg for pulled pork.

Any tips on what to do when I pull it? Should I foil it for 30mins before chopping it up?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I pull at 195°, put it on a sheet pan and cover with foil (I don't wrap it, just cover) and a dish towel or two. Leave it for about 30 mins. Then pull with a couple of meat forks and sprinkle on some vinegar sauce. If I feel messy, I'll grab a cleaver or two and chop it up.

Serve on a hamburger bun with cole slaw. Awesome!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CAEggFan
    Options
    Any suggestions to the vinagar sauce you used? Is that recommended or is it fine by just pulling it apart and storing in fridge for sammiches all week?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I usually sauce it when I'm done pulling/chopping. I don't go overboard with it though. Then, a shaker bottle at the table if anyone wants more (they usually do). Here's what I use. Looks sorta like what Chris Lilly used in the earlier video.

Vinegar Sauce - traditional Eastern NC Style

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• civil eggineer
    Options
    A large butt can sit in a plateau for 5+ hours...I am guessing 3 hours for that size.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I saved that sauce Michael ;)
    Thanks, Tim
  • CAEggFan
    Options
    Holy test tube testicle tuesday!! Wow. We'll see. I'll post and let you guys know how long.

Strange that a butt plateaus like that. Wonder why....
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    My guess about three hours. Tim