Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: dueling chickens

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't had much time to do a proper all afternoon cook for the last 2 weeks with all the going on over the new pup but worked off graveyards yesterday so the time was right. First the important raws:
8-12-2010152.jpg

A nice blend of spice for the rub including ginger, cumman, onion and garlic powder, peprika, chilli powder, salt, cracked pepper and a bit of all spice.
8-12-2010154.jpg

These chickens came with necks but no heads. No need for a neck if you an't got a head so off it comes! :laugh: It's not a pretty picture but nothing like getting your hands into it by rubbing the bird down in EVOO, pulling the skin away from the breast and thighs so that the majority of the rub goes UNDER the skin. We all know that rub on the skin is pretty much a waist as far as flavor in the meet right?! ;)
Cut lime in half and squeezed the juice under the skin from half and put the other half where the neck was. Note the OM has the whole top removed (OM=Old Millwalkie for the newbees who do not know what unemployment beer is!! :lol: )Wheather this lets extra moisture in the bird or not is everyones opinion but my birds get an OM inserted rectally every time....Can I say "rectally" on the forum?? :blush:
8-12-2010155.jpg

8-12-2010158.jpg

8-12-2010159.jpg

Care to guess what happen to the chicken neck? 12 weeks and 31 lbs. In a year best leave HIS Eggs alone! :laugh:
8-12-2010165.jpg

Fired up the Medium and Small to 300 pit for a breast temp of 170. A little done for me but company don't like any pink in the joints.
8-12-2010176.jpg

8-12-2010178.jpg

8-12-2010180.jpg

Someone got a "Welcome to America" package while we were smoking!! ;)8-12-2010169.jpg

Some smashed potatoes:
8-12-2010181.jpg

And suppers ready. Jakes doing really well with all the commotion as expected. Working real hard with him and Andy so they do not feel left out. They were hear first and Auron will all ways have to wait his turn. Plate looks kind of lame for lack of food on it compaired to my normal glutton bowel but with two birds no one left hungry! ;)
8-12-2010182.jpg

And just incase Doreen made a fresh Apple pie from apples off my Dads tree!
8-12-2010183.jpg

Comments