Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found a gold mine yesterday + need advise

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Pato's suggestion went to get 1 Pork butt, came out with 50.6 lbs of meat...a meat warehouse where he used to get his cuts.....about 25% - 35% off supermarket prices

DSCN8593.jpg

DSCN8595.jpg

First time I'm cooking a pork butt actually I'm cooking 2 whole ones weighing about 11 lbs each, (since the cut is not easy to find in this part of the world), anyway, I want it ready to serve around 9:00 pm tomorrow wednesday, planning on cooking it on the XL pibil style. Temp 230-250? When should I put it in? Should I treat it as a brisket???? Done many briskets so I'd know how to do that. Int temp 200? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. TKS

hot_smile.gif

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Beli,

I would say to be sure you have some 'rest' time for it, you want it coming off at 6:30-7 pm. That would also give you some time on either side, if it's done earlier or later. It'll hold in a cooler, foiled and wrapped in towel, for 4-5 hours. I'll bet it takes 15-18 hours to get to 195-200 (internal). So maybe around 1:30 am to put the meat on, should work for ya. I'm no Brisket veteran, but I do believe they cook similar in terms of time and temp.

Compared to all the other stuff you do, this will be a stroll in the park. ;)

The sounds and smells coming from the egg with a butt on is hard to beat.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Beli, I'm like Adam. Lite your egg at 12:30 and let it stabilize. Then take the butts out of the fridge and apply the rub and set them in you egg. Your a veteran you will be fine.

Be sure to invite me if you are inviting miss Universe. :woohoo: Tim
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Dome at 250 and plan for some rest time. I usually try to finish 2-3 hours prior to meal time. I also think applying the rub 8+ hours in advance gets more flavor into the meat.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "pibil style". Cooking whole for pulled pork or wrapped in banana leaves or chunked up and braised in liquid & spices.....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I agree on the 1:30AM start time. I would make sure to run my dome at 250. I think if you end up running 230 or 240 on the dome you will be pushing getting it done in time to rest. I would also calibrate the dome therm if you haven't in a while. One thing to keep in mind, if your running behind, say 170 internal at 6 in the evening, you can always bump up to 300 or even 350 dome and make it finish without sacrificing anything. Good luck!
  • Beli
    Options
    Whole without the banana leaves
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    250 degs. Doe. For 1.5 hours per pound based on the larger of the two cuts. Start checking the internal temp based on the smaller of the two cuts.

Wait you said Pibil style!! Is that cubed and wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in a dutch oven??
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Beli I agree with the rest of the group on the timing,if it does not seem to be getting done on time foil will help it along at the end.All your smoke will already be in the meat.Take some pics and enjoy the flavor coming your way!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Sorry meant to put this in my post,The meat will take plenty of the flavor,I pulled in the pan and let sit in the seasonings.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Beli
    Options
    OK got it Pete TKS ....whole without the banana leaves...
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Hey Beli!!!! good thing you finnally went!
    the same would always happen to me... I would always come home with something more...

Say hello to Jacinto next time you go there!
    cheers!