Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chigger Creek Lump

Options
Cobra
Cobra Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have experience with Chigger Creek Lump charcoal? The Naked Whiz marks its recommended, but wanted more opinions. I purchased a bag and haven't tried it yet, but its made in Missouri and convenient to get more easily.

Comments

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Just did my first cook with Chigger Creek. 1st observation: 40lb bag is HEAVY! OK, you knew that. Less sparky than the Frontier I'd been using. Lights quickly and gives good heat. Noticed a lot of thinner pieces... may have been why it lit so quickly. Seemed ready to cook (clear smoke) more quickly than Frontier.
    Had most of it left after 4 hr cook... Need to use it all before I can tell about burn time. Probably will be my choice when Royal Oak is unavailable. $26 for 40lb bag, $16 for 20lb. Half that if you pick it up at the factory.
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    I wasn't sure how much it would be to pick it up direct from them. Sounds like it would be worth the stop.

Thanks for your input.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Seems like there was a thread on this a few years back. Most who had direct knowledge seemed to rate it quite high also.

May want to try the search function on the forum and see what pops up.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    http://chiggercreekproductsmo.com/

Prices at the factory are a bit more than what I said earlier...check the price list in the link. I'd give them a call to make sure they will sell it by the bag not just pallets. Looks like they will ... the way I read it, anyway.