Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp reading

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing an 8# brisket as I type here. I've got a dome temp of 475 and a grill temp of 300. I'm using a very smoked stained oven thermometer so I've been forced to open the dome two times in the first 1 1/2 hours. Whats the best way to know grill temp.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    bk,
    You can buy a Polder-type of thermometer and stick the sensor through a piece of potato or a ball of foil, and let that lie on the grid. Of course, this only works up to the upper limit of the Polder which is in the 300's as I recall.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    We missed you and Pauline in Atlanta.
    Larry

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    YB,
    Well, we missed it all too! Maybe next year.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    I see that the temp reading is actualy above 500. Can the wire be run thru the BGE thermometer hole?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    bk,
    I wouldn't run it through the hole if I were you - your gasket will give enough to handle that small diameter of wire - besides unless you have some non-conventional probe on your Polder the hole won't accomodate the curve in the metal probe.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    bk,
    That sounds to me like an unusually large differential between dome and grill. Have you confirmed that your thermometers are accurate? [p]If the oven thermometer you're using is the coiled spring kind, the coils tend to get gunked up after a while, and the thermometer becomes less accurate over time and can even hang up at certain temp readings. This happens in kitchen ovens, so all the smoke and stuff in the Egg will just accelerate the process.[p]And fwiw, if the grill temp *is* accurate, imo it's probably too high for a brisket. The couple I've tried at between 250° and 300° have come out drier and tougher than those cooked longer at lower temps. [p]If you're not ready to invest in a Guru, I'd recommend a Poulder or other remote reading digital thermometer for monitoring meat temps, and then using a calibrated dial thermometer in the dome. With a bit of experience you can extrapolate the ballpark grill temp from the dome temp, within various cooking temperature ranges. [p]An accurate dome thermometer is important, and many of us have replaced the stock Egg dial thermometer with one or another of the Tel-Tru dial models, which are much higher quality.[p]Good luck,
    Bob