Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheeseburger help

Options
NH Egghead
NH Egghead Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased my large egg late last summer, didn't get much use out of it until the spring, since then i have been hook, line and sinker.

I have been using it a few times a week since, have done many cooks including some low and slows, but have yet to do something as simple as burgers. I used to purchase pre made burgers to throw on the gasser (may she rest in peace) and not do anything special to them. That just isn't going to cut it on the egg.

How does everyone prepare their burgers? Any recipe's? Cooking temps?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    search Little Steven's posts for stuffed burgers.
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    To be honest, burgers are one of my favortie things to cook/eat on the egg. I've tried a number of different variations...but the simple ones (kosher salt, pepper, cheese) seem to be the best to me!
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    What I like to do is have my butcher do a double grind of a brisket. Mold the patties to desired likeness (I like it around 1/4 LB.) Cook at dome temperature around 400 for about 3 minutes per side. I like my steak med. rare and I like my burgers cooked med. to well. Put a slice of cheese on the last minute of cooking. I use cheddar, swiss, american...etc. What ever you desire. Word of caution-burgers on the BGE come out real juicy. ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For me, the quality of the meat makes a lot of difference as to how I'm likely to flavor it. I've yet to try fresh ground brisket, which many folks say is the best. But if I have some nice organic ground chuck, which I know is really flavorful, I'll just do some salt and pepper, w. a bit of sharp cheddar. If its generic store bought, I'm likely to mix it w. some DP cowlick rub.

If I'm using ground lamb, or pork, I usually go pretty heavy with the seasonings.

I bought an adjustable burger press, and have found that having all the patties the same thickness really helps to have everything done at the same time.
  • NH Egghead
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will let everyone know how I did them and how they came out tonight.

Enjoy your Monday......
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi NH

I am guessing you are in New Hampshire? Where abouts? IMHO that is probably the most beautiful state in the Nation. Just a little cold for about 6 months out of the year. :lol:

I love burgers on the egg. Here are a couple of my post on them, one with ground beef the other with ground turkey, loved them both.

Swiss Mushroom Burgers

Bacon, Mushroom, Onion, Swiss Burgers

Welcome to the forum,

Blair

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You going to help Celtic Wolf with the Hillsborough NH troop cook this weekend?
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    In general, I like to do my burgers on direct heat at 450f on a cast iron grate on the Egg. I do them for a total of 8 minutes flipping ever 2.

DSC_0757+resized.jpg

One of my favorites is the above with a smoky pepper jack cheese sauce

1 Tbsp butter
    1 Tbsp flour
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup pepper jack cheese, smoked & shredded
    1 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
    ½ tsp hot sauce

Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in the half & half.

Keep whisking occasionally and bring mixture to a simmer. Whisk in the cheese in small batches, until melted through. Whisk in the worchestershire and hot sauces. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NH Egghead
    Options
    Unfortunately I am not. I read about it on the forum and would have loved to participate, but the wife and I are on vacation this week and will be out of town this weekend.

I am hoping he does this again in the future. It's a great cause that I would love to be a part of.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    However you cook them, I have a recommendation for how to serve them. These have to be my absolute favorites, bar none! Swiss cheese, sautéed onions and a blend of mayo, dijon and fresh chopped chives (ratio about 1 tablespoon mayo to 1 tsp dijon). Doesn't sound too exotic, but man, these are some tasty burgers!! Albeit, quite messy. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut