Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you do with Serrano and Carribean Red Hots

Central IL Egger
Central IL Egger Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This year I planted a couple Serrano and Carribean Red Hot pepper plants along with my normal planting of Jalapeno's. Now that I've got a bunch of peppers, I'm looking for suggestions on how forum members use them in their cooking. So, how do YOU use Serrano's and Carribean Reds?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I usually just use jalapeños, but for some reason, I like serranos better in guacamole. I also put them in salsa roja. I'm not sure what Carribbean red peppers are, but if they're kin to habeneros or Scotch Bonnets, I leave those for the macho guys and gals. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    ABT's
    021009002.jpg
    020809009.jpg
    I also freeze a bunch for winter time use too.
  • Thanks, and yes, the Carribean red Hots are supposed to be souped up version of the habenero. I probably have several lifetime supplies of them :blink:
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Make some home made hot sauce with the Reds!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to take thai birds beak peppers, split length wise, place in a quart jar and add 3-4 whole garlic cloves, black pepper, little sugar, some fish sauce and cover with apple cider vinegar. Place lid on and place on shelf for a few weeks. Then take an immersion blender and pulse. Great oriental hot sauce. Your reds should do a great job also. If you want to trade for some seasonings I make, let me know.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Make some sweet-hot pickled peppers outta them.That's what I'm doing. ;) Just sub peppers for cukes in a bread-n-butter recipe.They also make good pepper sauce.Place in a bottle and pour hot vinegar over them.Let em set a few weeks.Great on turnip/collard/mustard greens.
  • Awesome tips, and Richard, if you want some peppers lemme know! I have more than I'll use-
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I have an answer for you:

http://summer-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/how-to-make-hot-pickled-peppers

and if you prefer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJrgHOccqqI

The serranos pickle as well if not better than jalapenos. I've done them both whole and in rings. I've found that my favorite batches have been mixed hot peppers -- whatever comes out of the garden chopped in rings and mixed at whatever ratio today's harvest brings.

I also made a hot pepper sauce using an Emeril Lagasse recipe. It's better than any commercial sauce I've ever used and a handful of peppers will make more than a pint of sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-red-hot-sauce-recipe/index.html
  • Central IL Egger wrote:
    Thanks, and yes, the Carribean red Hots are supposed to be souped up version of the habenero. I probably have several lifetime supplies of them :blink:

Sounds like a scotch bonnet, maybe? They're a red colored close relative of the habanero. Scotch Bonnets are a traditional ingredient in jerk marinade. The marinade recipe in How To Grill by Steven Raichlen is good.

IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg

Here's a habanero hot sauce recipe:
    http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=21

Years ago, I was at an upscale mexican restaurant, and had a chicken dish that had a cherry-habanero sauce. Delicious. Could give it a try with some good cherry preserves and some habanero. You can get habanero flavor without a ton of the heat, by just taking a whole chile and slitting a few holes in it, and adding it to your dish (sauce, chili, etc) to steep for a bit. Then pull the chile out before serving.

Serranos are a great all-purpose chile...good in guac, salsa, chili. I'm letting a lot of my serranos go red, and then I'm going to try that Emeril hot sauce recipe that jeffinsgf posted.
  • jeffinsgf
    Ben,

Be sure to pickle some of the red serranos, too. They have a distinct flavor, but similar flesh texture to jalapeno. They're a great tweak to recipes that call for pickled jalapenos.

Don't know where yours are in ripening, but I've noticed mine take forever to start turning red, but once a pepper shows a little red, it will be fully red in one or two days.

My pepper bed that has been producing so abundantly this summer took some damage from a thunderstorm Saturday night. It had grown into a jungle, but now it's even worse. The hots are all intertwined into one mass of vegetation. Still lots of peppers, though.
  • My serranos and cayennes are turning red one-by-one...have been for a couple weeks. It's hard to get enough to make a sauce, because they're not ripening in bunches. I'm stringing up my cayennes to dry, and adding one or two chiles every few days. I haven't had any red jalapenos yet; they're all still green, and my poblanos aren't turning yet either. The tabascos (I think) are still yellow. I've got a couple banana peppers turning on me, because I'm not eating them fast enough. Habaneros are starting to pick up steam...I picked several last night...enough for a batch of jerk!

I haven't pickled anything (other than cukes) yet, going to have to go out and get some more jars. I think I'll do whole mixed chiles in pints, and sliced jalapenos and serranos in half-pints. I'll have to try adding some red serranos in with the greens, as you say.

I caged most of our chiles, and I'm glad I did. The habaneros and italian sweets are un-caged and are all over the place. I'm having problems getting red peppers from the italian sweet bush, because they're rotting on the ground before they ripen. A few months ago, my dealer demoed the eggplant fries with roasted red pepper sauce from the new BGE cookbook. I've really wanted to give it a try, but I'm beginning to despair that I won't wind up with a good batch of red sweet peppers. Lots of eggplant, though! ;) Coincidentally, the italian sweet pepper bush was a gift from my dealer. She's great. I hope to be able to use her peppers on the egg.
  • Speaking of preserving...when you make hot sauce, do you just keep it in mason jars in the fridge? I'd like to do a more upright, narrow-necked bottle, like a regular hot-sauce bottle, but I'm not sure where I could find some, other than ordering them online. I think I'm going to make a batch of emeril's red serrano (perhaps using mixed peppers: serrano, cayenne), a batch of Rick Bayless's habanero sauce, and probably a batch or three of tabasco (whenever they get around to ripening).
  • jeffinsgf
    Nancy has an excellent eye for what NOT to throw away. We had a salad dressing that came in a flask shaped bottle with an old fashioned wire bail seal (think that's what they're called). It was perfect for my Emeril sauce. A lot of salad dressings come with lids that have a top that unscrews, but also has a flip top to shake out just a little. Those ought to work great, too.

Edited to Add:

I used mixed peppers for my Emeril's sauce. They weren't even all red. As long as most of them are red, the color will come out right.