Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool Down Question/Problem?

Options
KyEgg
KyEgg Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a pizza on my medium bge at about 400 degrees and when finished I closed the bottom vent and put the solid ceramic top on it. I went out at least an hour later and the temperature still read 200 and lifted the top and there was still lump that was red/burning. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? I was under the impression the fires went out a lot quicker.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If you were cooking at some 500° and had a stabalized 500 for an hour prior..an hour later I would expect it to be even hotter than that...the beauty of the egg is its efficiency and it does that by retaining heat..hope that makes sense..
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Thats just a good example of how well the egg retains its heat ;)
  • KyEgg
    KyEgg Posts: 23
    Options
    I understand the heat retainage aspect but I figured the fire should have gone out with no oxygen?
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    That's not uncommon for it to take that long. Typical I'd say.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Mine go out pretty quick, but I have been on a gasket kick lately and have replaced all my gaskets with nomex, and they have a good seal. The fire should go out quickly once the oxygen runs out, it sounds like yours might be breathing a little somewhere. Its not a big deal, but if it bugs you, you can improve it.
  • KyEgg, I think cookingdude is correct. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere. No matter how tightly you try & shut your lower damper door, some air will still get in there, & unless you have a perfect seal with your gasket & your rain cap, some, albeit small, amount of air will still be flowing through your egg, which can account for the small red ember you still had so long after. But as Wess said too, temps that high will also keep the egg hot for a long, long time. Check your gasket if you are really concerned about it, & also put some gasket material in the interior of the rain cap for a tight fit, that will decrease the amount of air allowed to flow through your egg, & nulify any leakage you may have at the door level

I am the heat man, I am the walrus, coo coo cachu coo coo coo cachu