Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cedar plank salmon question

Options
drbrjb01
drbrjb01 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I was goign to do cedar plank salmon tonight and i have a couple of questions.

1. do I need to put evoo under the salmon?
2. what is the recommended temp/time
3. i was goign to throw some asparagus on as well...what is the preperation for that to me on the plank?

Thanks for reesponses/ideas

DB

Comments

• I made cedar plank a couple nights ago.

1. No, Salmon has enough oil in it already and that would distrubt the transfer of cedar flavours to the salmon. make sure you soak the planks for an hour or so at least.
    2. Until white fat starts coming out of the flesh. It's pretty obvious. Not sure the temp. Salmon is a nice piece of meat you can tell when it's done by looking at it.
    3. EVOO, salt and pepper - you're going to put that on the plank as well or put it off to the side and let it cook?

P1000313.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    No EVOO, Cook to internal of 135-138, white fat will start coming out of flesh. A lot of folks do it direct, I prefer indirect on a raised grid, 350-375 dome usually takes 35-40 min.
    The Dizzy Pig Raging River, butter/maple syrup recipe is great, another favorite of mine is two parts brown surger mixed w/ one part spicy brown mustard, smear on fish at beginning of the cook.
    Do not turn fish. No need to remove skin before cooking, the heat will cause it to loosen and you can lift the fish right off its hide when you plate it.
    Enjoy :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Sorry, I have not been able to get any pics up for a couple of days now.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • drbrjb01
    Options
    I was thinking on putting it on the plank...i just did not want to scorch it or over cook it
  • drbrjb01
    Options
    thanks for the recommendation...i think we are going to go a little more basic with butter, lemon, dill and maybe some paul prodhomme's seafood seasoning...I will absolutely try the spicy mustard/brown sugar deal at some point though...thanks!
  • 40 minutes? Are you nuts? Try 20. Anyway, do it by eye, assuming you are doing a full fillet, once the tail is a bit overcooked (curse of different meat thickness) then the big good part will be done.

Observe: Perfect.

IMG_4546.JPG
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    No, I am not nuts, I have been doing this for a long, long, time. I am not going to start up with you, but I know what works for me, remember, I am cooking indirect.
    This is from years of experience, something you painfully lack.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL :angry:
  • I'm sorry, I thought you were doing cedar planked salmon where you want to cook direct on the plank. Cooking raised indirect cedar planked doesn't really make a lot of sense. Anyway, whatever works for you I guess :ermm:

Still 375 is 375 and if you cook it for 40 minutes it will be way over cooked. Some people like fish overcooked - I like my chicken thighs overcooked so no big deal.

I suppose one variable we are not considering is the thickness of the plank. Mine are about 1/3 of a cm and I have sockeye which is pretty thin so 20 minutes for me is more than enough and as I mentioned before, I do it direct- not raised. I really dislike overcooked fish so I err on the side of undercooked (you can always throw it back on after all).

Still - I'm sure we can agree that timing is dumb because there are too many variables and rather temp or some other measure (fat being squeezed out of the meat) is a better measure of doneness.
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    You are correct, oozing fat and internal temp [135-138]are the things that matter. Just so you know, I use western red cedar trim lumber available at big box stores for my planks and have been for twenty years. It will measure just short of 3/4". I buy a 1x6 plank and cut to length. I have some planks that have been used 6-8 times, I just sand or scrape the char off and use it again, I do not like more than just a hint of smoke flavor, and when I learned to do this years ago on my gasser, indirect was the way to go. I have stuck with it with excellent results.

Happy Eggin'

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Sorry if I came off as abrasive before. With the set-up I use, if I had cooked it for 40 minutes it would have been brutally over cooked. Different from you I do lower, direct at 400 - meaning the bottom of the plank is likely hitting 600 (maybe?). That certainly would change timing! That's why timing is dumb.

Your method of using trim lumber is smarter than what I'm doing (bought "fish cedar planks"). I need to head to home depot.
  • Davecooksslow
    Options
    You can get untreated Alder at the lumber stores. I've been using Alder on the gasser for 20 years. Generally the plank gets "sacrificed."
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Capt. Frank,

Really like the idea of NOT buying fish planks. Could you compare the flavor you impart with the thicker planks versus a higher priced (thinner) fish plank? Sounds like you likely get less flavor influence from the plank than maybe a thinner plank offers, but if that is what you like, then perfect! Anyway, thanks for great idea.

Oh yea, have you tried other woods, and if so, please share...

BTW, years ago from North Tampa (Temple Terrace). LOVED coming up to Homassasa Springs and then back down thru Tarpon Springs for lunch!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    I really can't compare what I use with store bought planks because I have never used them. I can only say that the flavor is very mild. :)
    I live across the road [Halls River] from the Wildlife Park, love it! :cheer:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Thanks for the tip.
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    A truly magical place!!!! Nothing like going into the underwater aquarium and watching the Jack Cravelle cruise the windows!!!! Actually, as I remember now, that is the location of my wife and I's first date about 20 years ago (I would get hit on the back of the head if she knew I didnt lead with that comment)!!!!!!

Heres hoping the Mantatee population in your "pond" is strong and healthy!!!

Dave In Keller, TX
  • jetmac
    jetmac Posts: 34
    Options