Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys! I did my first brisket several months ago. It came out great, however it was so tender that I could not slice it without it falling apart so I ended up having to chop it.

It was absolutely delicious but I really wanted sliced brisket and not chopped. Did I do something wrong? Did I cook it too long? I have done briskets on other smokers in the past and never had them fall apart when attempting to slice them.

This was a packer cut, not a flat. I am doing another one this weekend and was hoping to have some input from you fine folks so I can slice this one without it falling apart on me.

Thanks,
Cary

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    What was the internal temp of the brisket when you took it off?

Sounds like you cooked it a bit too long.
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Just pull it at a lower internal temp. Donn't what you cooked to last time. I pull about 185 - 190 for slicing
  • kolbdriver
    Hey Pete, Are you ever gonna come to another Eggfest around Texas ?
  • It was a while back so I really don't remember the internal temperature. Seems like I remember it being 195.

So, it was probably overcooked then? Is 185 the best temp to pull it off for slicing?
  • kolbdriver
    Yea, somewhere in that range. Each one is different, you just hafta work with it. If you chopped the last one and is was not dry you were real close. Try 185 - 190.
    Hope this helps
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    I cook mine the same every time: 230 until internal reaches 190. Even then, my results vary. Sometimes it is spot on, sometimes it is overcooked. Just so that you're aware, Your Mileage May Vary.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I use a fork during cooking to determine tenderness. It is usually between 190 and 195, but each one is different.

Also, I don't wrap mine in foil and continue the cooking since it tends to steam it too much. This can make the meat fall apart when you try and slice it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Just as soon as I get some money. I know this may sound weird, but I am still unemployed and my benefits are about to dry up.

Been scrambling to get the catering business launched into full gear. Would be nice if my for-profit business was as busy as the non-profit business...

I want to get back into competitions too. I sure am getting tons of practice :woohoo:
  • I pull anywhere from 197-205. You got to get a feel of the tenderness when probing. Let it sit a couple hours.

Are you foiling it? I think the biggest mistake people make is they foil and when they remove they never open the foil to get all the steam out so the meat continues to cook another 10 degrees.
  • Hey thanks guys! I think my problem last time was that I did foil it for the last couple of hours of cooking and pulled it at 190-195 and immediately closed the foil, wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler for a couple of hours.

Won't foil it this time. Picked up a 13lb packer cut today at Kroger and got my brisket rub yesterday delivered from Real Texas BBQ, Inc. Honestly, the best rub I have ever used!

Will post results here sometime Saturday night or Sunday. Thanks again for all the advice.