Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie piza and grilling questions

Options
sbmfj
sbmfj Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I have a question regarding baking a pizza and grilling right afterwards. Say I have some freinds over, we make a pizza, ans then we wanna grill up some steaks or chicken. Would I have to remove the plate setter, and if so, wont it be really freaking hot? Could I simply use oven mits to grab it from the egg, or is there a better way around this? Just wondering how cooking different types of food on the egg (in on session) will work out.

Any help/sugguestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    To remove any item from the BGE such as a plate setter or pizza stone. you need 2 things

high temp oven mitts such as Orca mitts and a place to immediately put the object....such as a trivet, stone or brick...not on your wooden deck :blink: ...

and yes you can cook items after cooking high temp pizzas...just remove ceramic and shut down the BGE for a few minutes to get to desired temp...oh and multiple temp cooks are just 1 more reason you need two BGE's... :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I usually just leave mine setup for pizza. You can cook several to feed all your guests. Alot of people do it, but I usually avoid dealing with hot plate setters. Maybe that's why I have 3 Eggs.
  • sbmfj
    sbmfj Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks guys and gals!!! Maybe ill look into a 2nd one if need be!!
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    I have a pair of welding gloves that work well for removing very hot hardware from the Egg. They work well, but you need to have your plan in place before picking anything up, because the window is small.

Matt
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What Kim said. Do not forget to open the vents before you open the dome. That is how flashback happens.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Matt wrote:
    I have a pair of welding gloves that work well for removing very hot hardware from the Egg. They work well, but you need to have your plan in place before picking anything up, because the window is small.

Matt

Ditto on the "have a plan." I have seen people with welding gloves on at fests pick something up, then find someone in their way, or not know where they were going, get hot, and then drop it on the ground as they were burning their hands. Oven mitts are NOT enough IMHO. You need welding gloves, or Orca mitts and you need to make sure everyone is out of your way, and know exactly where you are going with it, preferably less than 3 steps/3 seconds away.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Agreed. Depending on the quality of your gloves and how hot whatever it is you are carrying is you can still do damage. I have held stuff too long and the heat got absorbed through the glove so much so that I had to take the glove off too. Like the others said, have a plan!
  • A Man, A Plan, A Canal – Panama!