Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tell me about the spider

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yesterday did a couple of steaks. this time I removed the fire ring so I could get the meat closer to the hot coals. did a T rex and seared them and then removed them to rest and wait for the fire to cool down. I really had to wrestle with the fire ring to get it back in so I could get the steak up away from the coals. Ok so would a spider solve this problem? have seen pics but not sure this is what I need.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
gp

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Yes, the spider is a good sear setup.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    A spider is one way to solve this situation. Also, you won't need to get the BGE so hot in order to get a sear. We use a spider in conjunction with a WooII ring, which elevates the main cooking grid to about felt level. This allows for a more relaxed timing of the cook.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    A small's 13" CI grid fits perfectly in the spider (legs up) for searing. It's easier to move the spider+grid than fire ring. Actually you can simply place the regular grid on top of the inverted spider.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    From what I hear (I don't yet own a spider), it's great for searing if you have the right size CI grid, it's nice if you do any wok cooking and it can be used with a pizza stone for an indirect setup.

I already have a platesetter for indirect, I set the wok directly on the coals (though I don't use the wok that often) and I have an 8" CI grid for searing. Like this...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=941897&catid=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phrettbender
    Options
    I put a cast iron skillet on the regular grate and at 650 it seared some ribeyes very nicely at 90 seconds per side.

HPIM2178.jpg

HPIM2183.jpg

Just use long tongs or gloves to turn the steaks!
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    thanks
    I will probably be off to the ceramic store tomorrow.
    gp
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks good! Next time, get the temp to 400° and put the skillet on the coals. After the sear, remove the skillet, add the grid and when it heats up, roast at 400. No need for hi temps for the sear that way. I'm eating a ribeye cooked like that as we speak!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When I sear like this I get my dome to 400 degrees but, my meat will be almost on top of the hot coals so that may be around 1100 degrees it depends on how much lump is lite but I get a great char.

000_2280.jpg

Then I set my adjustable rig on top of the spider and ci grid and put the steaks on the top of the ar to finish them off.

This setup is fast and simple and you never have to get the dome temp above 400. Tim ;)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    What I use the spider for:

Dutch oven work (searing meats, sauteeing veggies, as with chili).
    IMG_3698.jpg

wokkery:
    IMG_3794.jpg

roasting veggies (tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos):
    IMG_3759.jpg

t-rex, of course...I'm SHOCKED that I don't have a t-rex photo with my spider. This must be remedied!

it's also good for varying your heat level...switch from legs up to legs down for a gentler heat. The tomatillo picture above was from making mole. Different steps in the process call for different heat levels. Here you see it legs down, when frying the chilis:
    IMG_3761.jpg

and then legs up, when reducing the sauce:
    IMG_3772.jpg