Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gaskets, again....

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All --

Torched my Nomex last night cooking pizzas. Can somebody give me the latest lowdown on a Rutland? Cost, model, installation, suppliers, etc.?

Thanks.

Matt

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Matt forget about them all. You can go without.
    Just don't drop your lid on the base......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    Ron Pratt (handle: RRP) is your man. He'll mail you the gasket with instructions for $11. I spent another few bucks on a buffer attachment for my drill to clean off the fried gasket and another few bucks for the sealant that Ron recommends. Do a search for Ron Pratt or RRP on here and you'll find him.

I've been very happy with my Rutland.
  • Matt--
    I agree with toothpick, RRP has them at the right price with all the instructions. A great guy to deal with. Bucky Buckshot
  • Matt
    Options
    All --

Thanks for the tips. Is Rutland the consensus best gasket option? Anyone ever torched one?

Matt
  • Matt
    Options
    Another question -- if I install a Rutland today, do the low-temp cure, and then let it rest, can I do pizzas tomorrow?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lo temp cure? You mean ambient? :) I installed my Rutland 6-8 months ago. Didn't want to do it when it was so cold (not for me, but the adhesive), so I rolled the egg into my laundry room. Applied Permatex UltraCopper, applied gasket and closed the dome. Room temp cure for about 24 hrs. Rolled it back to my patio and cooked something.

I have done cooks up to about 750° with no gasket damage. Don't recall for sure, but I think I seared a steak with my first cook. Looks pretty much the same now as it did then.

My local hardware store sells it for about 80¢ a foot.

Yes, I would do a pizza as my first Rutland cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    No, but mine failed within months of the Egg (large) purchase, despite my not doing any initial, hi-temp cooks. BGE sent a felt replacement and I also have a folder filled with options; gaskets/adhesives, etc. So far I've not missed it, except for the cushion between the dome & base mating surfaces. Could be that a wicked slam (like during an infernal, flash-back) might possibly result in catastrophic, structural failure. That possibility only concerns me for a brief spell between dawn and cocktail hour.. Nostrovia!!