Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When is the last time....

Options
Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
you cooked chicken, but not a whole chicken? Am I the only one that only cooks whole chickens? Till 5 years ago, I would throw chicken breasts on my gas grill and call it dinner, but I think I have actually only grilled chicken breasts 1 time on an egg. Why is that? Does anyone cook just chicken breasts and swear by them? I do love dark meat, but I am certainly not against grilling up chicken breasts if there is a way to make em taste as good as a whole chicken.

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Same hear. I always would cook breast and quarters on my gasser and now only cook whole birds. Don't know why. I did cook breast for the wife about a month ago and she commented that we need to cook them more becuase of how juicy they were. I like dark meat better than white so the whole bird is better for us. Everybody gets what they want.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You can buy a whole bird for what 2 breast would cost
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I almost always cook parts only. Rarely a whole chick. Unless it's a game hen.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    60% whole bird, 40% parts.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    I usually cook whole chickens but we also enjoy split chicken breast. I have cooked boneless/skinless chicken breast twice in the last couple months. They were still pretty good but cooked with steaks. That way we could have steak and chicken without cooking the whole bid. Whether you cook a full chicken or just the breast--if it is cooked on the egg it will still taste darn good.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    SGT: I only cook chicken breasts when I want a grilled chicken caesar salad every few weeks. Beyond that, it's spatchcock. Never whole "intact" birds though... We do love our boneless skinless thighs for sure. ;)

LOL...I sure messed this post up! Sorry Hitch! It was meant for you! I thought it peculiar when I looked at the sender. I said to myself 'hmm...I thought this was posted by Hitch! Oh well...So, SGT.....' :blink: Blonde moment, senior moment, whatever... :laugh: Have a good one, both of you...lol
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    I buy whole chickens, but cut them in half. So much cheaper and with little effort. :woohoo:
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    Options
    I cook both I brine my breast pieces & they are always moist & tasty
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I cook split breasts ALL the time.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I am probably 50-50 parts vs. whole.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont like the breasts split, i like them whole and they come out more like a spatchcock that way. i also cook thighs only, either skin on or boneless on skewers, skin on low and slow, skinless marinated at high temps. i never mix parts on the same grill as they seem to need different dome temps to cook the way i like em
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts at the wife's request a couple times each week. These are cooked on the Mini BGE.
    This is one type of cook that just scared the hell out of me as I figured they would come out really dry. This belief was a holdover from my gasser days. Turns out they are terrific, and juicy. Whod'a thunk it?
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    I will fill up the XL with boneless/skinless breasts occasionally. Great to keep in the freezer for quick meals (soups, salads, enchilladas, etc.) during the week when we are chasing the kids around to their activities. When we are low on chicken in the freezer, I know it's time to cook some more. This is something we have always done - even before the egg.

But, if I'm cooking primarily for the meal that night, it's whole chicken. Makes everyone happy having white and dark meat.

For me, the only change is that I never did whole chickens before the egg - now, it's so easy.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    OZ,
    Great idea on fillin the freezer...I do it with PPork, and great cuts of meat that I find on sale, but should do it with bird. I have 4 young boys, so needing good size meals is a must. Another reason that you mentioned is that whole chickens were never done before the egg...prolly cause the results would be less than good.

Thanks all for the responses...great ideas, and sentiments. I will be doing some breasts and parts only soon because of this thread.

Believe it or not, I have never done boneless thighs. Looking forward to that cook soon.

Thanks again all,

Hitch
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I did chicken pieces several months ago for the first time in a long time. Kinda same reason, it been a while....t

breastchickenflipring.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Mostly whole chickens, until parts go on sale. When BSB's or cut breasts are on sale, wife stocks up.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hitch,

I do a lot os BSCB on the egg. Almost always marinade. Definitely not as good as spatchcocked, skin on but fast and sorta healthy. I make a lot of chicken on a bun in the summer.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I prefer whole chickens cause they always taste better than just the parts, but I also do a lot of breasts, wings, and quarters also. Just depends on the mood I guess.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I was just thinking about that last friday when I had a picky eater over and I made her chicken breasts. I am too cheap to cook just breasts. I would rather buy the whole chicken or quarters or whatever. The only exception is this marinaded chicken breast I get from this butcher in Gays Mills, WI - The best damn chicken ever, and on the egg it is epic.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have done chicken breast (mostly hot and fast…Sometimes brined), but most often do either thighs or sliced breasts marinated, then cooked on skewers. They are always a BIG Hit!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Heck, I just get three big old split breasts with the bones still in them, and grill them at 350 til they read 160 degrees. I don't turn 'em or nothing. Pretty tasty to me...
    The Naked Whiz
  • krsk96
    krsk96 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have never cooked a whole chicken, usually when I get them the head, feet, and the insides have been remvoed. Except for the neck, sometimes they send the neck along, anyone eat those?