Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not a turbo butt, but a TURBO BGE!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,911
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can NOT believe this after egging MANY pork butts over the last 10 years with MUCH-O success!

Today I thoroughly cleaned my large egg by removing the guts as I do 3 or 4 times a year. It always amazes me how much ash had piled up outside those tiny holes "out back". Any wayyyyyyyyy, I then started an 8 pound pork butt at 5:30 on a STABLE 240° fire complete with a plate setter & drip pan for indirect. I'm here to tell you that large BGE took off like a wild horse and settled in at 330° from the get go! Now 4 hours later I have finally gotten it tamed to 310°. BTW I have 3 thermometers confirming these temps. I just didn't plan to "pull my pork butt at 2:00 tonight!"

Comments

• So what's your plan? I just put a butt on a little later than I wanted - about 7pm. Plus I injected it with about 1.5 cups of cold apple juice & water and I have it around 200 (better low than too high I think).

Are you going to keep the vents almost shut, fill the greeae tray with ice, shut her down and re-light?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    RRP, if you need any company let me know. I've got a brisket on now and will be putting on a butt around 12:30am. ;) My egg is just pokin along at 205 grid.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    You gonna bump that up any little one?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Yep, Little Chef just admonished me to kick it up to 225 grid. :lol:

Thanks for you Texas expertise sir. :)
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    Ron, Same thing happened to me last week with ribs. Set the draft door and top at usual place, chugged along at 260 with ribs on. Went to mow lawn, came back in hour and a half and egg was at 375. Took an hour to get to 325 and would not cool down. Ribs done way too soon and dry as the desert. Same charcoal, same settings
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,911
    Options
    things turned out OK. What I did before going to bed was to set up my Guru to baby sit during the night after my wild egg got off it's 300° passion. I figured it had to back off sometime the way I had it choked down. I set my pit temp at 225°. When I checked this morning it was locked on 225! yet it was ramping down as the meat was already at 199°! A good 7 hours sooner than I wanted, but so be it! I'll pull it in a little while.
  • Better 7 hours early than 7 hours late.

My butt is being a bit slow - had to jack the egg up to 300 - butt now at 175 - hopefully that'll hit my 11am pull deadline.