Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with adjustable rig setup: brisket + 2 butts

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I am cooking a large packer brisket and 2 butts. I don't know how to arrange them on my egg. I have a plate setter, a 16 inch drip pan, an ajustable rig, spider, woo ring and a pizza stone. I was thinking (from bottom up) inverted spider, drip pan, grid, brisket, grid, butts, but do I need the pizza stone under the drip pan? If so, I would have to stack (from bottom up) a grid, stone, spacers, drip pan, grid, brisket grid, butts.

The 16" drip pan does not fit in the inverted place setter, but I could stack plate setter, spacers, some other drip pan, grid, brisket, spacers cut from fire bricks, grid and butts.

Confused by too many choices in Allen,

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Sounds like you have a good plan there. If you want to be safe then put the stone under the pan but elevate the drip pan with something, even some aluminum foil rolled into a 'rope' would work.

As I recall from past posts the folks put the butts over the brisket.

I am sure some others will jump in.

Good cook'n.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I think you're on the right path, Ed. If the packer is larger than the stone/drip pan, I might consider putting it on top instead of the butts, since the butts should fit within the diameter of the stone. I'd think about doing this:

Packer
    18" Grid
    AR

Butts
    18" Grid
    Drip Pan
    Pizza Stone
    Spider
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I set it up like Jeffersonian, except I always cook butts over the brisket.

From bottom up:

Spider
    Pizza Stone
    Drip Pan
    Brisket on bottom setting of the rig
    Butts on regular grid on the top of the rig
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    The idea of two butts dripping lovely pork fat all over a packer for hours on end does sound yummy, doesn't it?
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Thanks. Egg is burning nicely with pecan and oak. Going with the spider, stone, drip pan, grid, brisket, grid, butts from bottom to top.

Learned that two et-73 receivers work with a single sending unit. (just in case you left your et 73 in the rain one week)

Ed

ps - have pictures, but having picture problems
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I think that will give you great results. Post pics!
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I think ya´re on the right way.

But why the spider inverted ?

I used it always facing to the bottom. Provides more "free air" under the first grid, and provides an over all smoke penetration, also of the lowest meat.