Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks Followup....

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone asked the question if this rub was too salty. Just for fun, I was cooking a 2 pound cowboy steak last night so I used a moderate application of DP Raising The Steaks, and I couldn't taste the salt on the finished product. In retrospect, I would probably use a heavy application next time. FWIW.....
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    "Steak" and "too salty" doesn't compute. I remember seeing a show (I'm going to guess that it was No Reservations) filmed in South America where the group was grilling meat seasoned with nothing but HUGE rock salt crystals...looked great to me! I like the big flakes of salt in Raising the Steaks. I find myself taking the cap off and using my fingers, because the rub is so coarse it's hard to get through the holes in the cap sometimes.
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    TNW --

Was that, by any chance, one of the cowboy steaks from The Meat House in Cary? I was looking at those yesterday, but opted for a selection of strips instead.

I'd like to know how it was.

Matt
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Well, howdy! Yes it was. It was pretty big, 2 pounds almost. I'd say it was pretty good. It certainly was pretty impressive looking. I'm not a big ribeye fan, but I'd say I enjoyed it pretty much. So did Scooby The Wonder Dog! But he'll eat anything.

I do have some long-bone ribeyes and some cover steaks coming from Allen Bros. (present, tee hee!) so we'll see how they compare.

I want to try the Meat House dry-aged strips next time, though.
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    im usually a fan of the strip, but the dry aged ribeye is better from the meathouse, the cowboy steak probably was not dry aged? badger them to stock pearls, if enough ask for those they will get them in. they also carry tritip if you cant find them in the area but they have to cut them out back, not usually in the case. i try to get in there at lunch time up here as they have enough samples cooked to eat while walking around :laugh: offsets some of the higher prices
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    That's gotta be Brazil. A traditional churrasco in Brazil calls for beef and other meats seasoned with big blocks of salt before grilling them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I feel the same way about the DP spices.
    Many spices on the market will get way to salty by the time you add a fair amount to your food.
    This has not been a problem with DP compared to most.
    Salt is a cheap filler that takes up to much space in most bottles of spice. You can always add more salt to taste if needed.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    The dry-aged strips are excellent, but I prefer the grass-fed -- they have been my favorite so far.
  • jetmac
    jetmac Posts: 34
    Options
    ....you couldn't taste it. Maybe, for those of us cutting as much salt from our diets as we can, have a hightened taste for salt. Salt being the first ingredient indicates that is what the product contains most of. I, on the other hand will actually use less next time.
  • That's not technically true.

For example, if something has 5 ingredients then salt would need to comprise only slightly above 20% to be required to be listed first.
  • jetmac
    jetmac Posts: 34
    Options
    Maybe I put it in the wrong terms. From WebMD: The first important thing to remember is that the ingredients are listed in descending order of predominance. The first two or three ingredients are the ones that matter most. Ingredients at the bottom of the list may appear in only very tiny amounts
  • That's true - but with most rubs there are few ingredients that are in very small amounts.

Although I have no evidence besides my taste-buds to back up this claim, I would be surprised if salt comprised more than 30% by mass of raising the steaks rub.

Maybe the Dizzy Dudes would weigh in here. I can't see how the % salt would be a trade secret.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    DP's Raising the Steak rub has been one of my favorite steak rubs for quite sometime. I don't find it that salty at all. I will be using it tonight on some ribeyes (one of my favorite cuts of meat--I love me some fat :)).
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Not only is it not secret, it's listed on the bottle and nutritional info is available on the website. Raising the Steaks has 450mg of sodium per 2.5 grams. It does indeed have more salt than all of our other rubs.

For reference, McCormicks Grill Mates Montreal has 560mg per 2.5g.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Keep up the good work. I love your products and ordering direct from your site is fast and efficient (I can buy it locally, but they don't always have Raising the Steak rub in stock). I hope your company will have a vendor booth at Eggtoberfest. I will certainly buy some more there if you do. My family and friends love it.
  • 18% by mass. Looks like I'm a little salt sensitive. I just assumed it was high because I like it so much!

You know that 'pssst! The secret ingredient is salt' thing.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks very much! There is a pretty good chance they'll be available at the Fest one way or another.

See you there!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    One question Chris,,, Who is going to clean the parking lot after Eggtoberfest :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You drew the short straw this year Poolboy. It matches your stature.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    All I got to say is Raising The Steak, a little guidance from Ms.Diane, a good steak, and a little luck sent us home with a check for a thousand dollars. Gail at Southern Patio said telling folks about that has sure helped it's sells. You do good on them all.

Poppasam
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    With Ms. Diane's magic touch, yall cudda put salt and pepper on that thang and won it ;)

I think about her often and hope she is well. Thanks for the kind words brother.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Great rub, We love it on "Corn on the Cob" also. Fantastic rub!
  • keep in mind that Dizzy's "Raising the Steaks" rub is (quoted from their website) " a robust mix that was inspired by the popular Montreal steak seasoning mix".

Many commercial preparations like this are loaded with salt. If you are offering a rub which is similar to the (probably?) Number One steak seasoning preparation (Montreal Steak Seasoning), you are going to admittedly need to follow their lead, and salt becomes a major part of the flavor profile.

Salt itself isn't necessarily a bad thing to have in your diet. If your doctor has advised you to cut as much as you can from your diet, then go ahead. But don't simply take all the warnings at face value. Talk to your doctor. Mine told me, when asked if i needed to reduce salt in my diet, that i was not prone to hypertension brought on by sodium, that there was no family history of same, and that my kidneys would perform perfectly well in ridding my body of extra salt.

I'm not assuming one way or the other what the specifics are in your case, just in general it's always good to talk to a doctor before significantly modifying your diet/exercise, etc.

As an unrelated example, i remember our pediatrician saying there was a sad new phenomenon occurring as a result of people being so-called "health conscious". Some parents were assuming that a low fat diet was good for their infants/toddlers, and were serving them fat-free products as a rule, unaware that fat is needed for a developing brain...

i'd wager that the greater danger is not the sodium in the rub, but the size of the steak being consumed.

i'll admit that all of this blather of mine is moot if you are talking simply about taste... But for health-conscious people on doctor's orders to limit salt intake, there are other Dizzy Pig options. Dizzy Dust and Raging River are available Salt-free.
  • i agree with you cojpletely on the strip vs ribeye issue.

fresh steak? then i go for the strip. but dry-aged (at 45 days), nothing beats the rib eye
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    jetmac,

I don't think that rule applies on a spice blend. Obviously, the particular spices would not be listed. The spice though, would make up the majority of the volume. No?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i dont particulay like this seasoning as it tastes like a montreal seasoning but if you want to move the salt content down add some pepper :laugh: heres a typical montreal clone recipe, not much salt at all once you add the other ingredients

# 1 part smoked paprika
    # 1 part garlic flakes (or garlic powder)
    # 1 part dehydrated onion
    # 1 part mustard seeds, coarsly cracked
    # 1 part coriander seeds, lightly crushed
    # 1 part black peppercorns, lightly crushed
    # 1 part chili flakes
    # 1 part dried parsley
    # 1.5 parts* coarse salt, kosher
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it