Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new table need advice

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm working on getting my first egg. Decided if I build it , it will come. So I'm building a table for it. The plans comment on not taking into account a concrete stepping stone between egg and lower shelf. is this something I should add or can I forget about it. Does anyone use the 3 tabs that the egg comes with.

Comments

• TOROLNSTND
    TOROLNSTND Posts: 38
    Options
    kyle,
    throw the tabs away, I can't figure any use for them. I built my table out of mahogany decking with pressure treated legs and bracing using the BGE plan as a guide with a few modifications. I laid the top slats tight to each other and treated with food grade mineral oil to use as a food prep area. On the lower shelf I spaced the slats 3 and 1/2 inches apart, on a 2X4 P/T frame with no stone between the egg and the shelf. The spacing makes it very easy for sweeping the ash right out into a bucket placed under the egg. Good luck.

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,
    almost forgot, I do not recommend using pressure treated wood on any area's that might come into contact with food, & pine won't hold up for very long. Shop around and see what kind of deals you can get on hardwoods such as maple, oak or ash. I got the 1X4 mahogany decking for 43 cents per linear foot (quite the deal) at a local bargain lumber outlet. Also, use stainless steel screws to fasten together (galvanized contains lead and untreated will rust away very quickly outdoors).

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    kyle, I followed the plans from the EGG site. I used white cedar, although it certainly is not a hardwood. I made adjustments in the distance between the bottom and top shelf and did use four concrete paving bricks to set the egg on. Works very well and allows air to circulate under the egg as well. No problem at all. I also made some long handles to extend out beyond the end of the table to aid in moving the whole thing around. Since I live in Maine, I bring it into the garage for the winter and then just pull it out into the driveway when I cook. The long handles make it easy. I rigged them so I can lower them when I'm not moving it. Good luck!!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    kyle,[p]I did some heavy Egg watching some time ago and came up with the conclusion that leaving in a layer of ash on the bottom under the grate is good. It provides a small amount of insulation on the bottom of the Egg. Mine both live in the nest so I am not bothered too much by a hot bottom, but there have been many posts here on the forum where people have moved an Egg from its spot on the deck or where it sat on wood only to find a heat mark where Humpty sat. Some said theirs were on the little feet too. The bottom can get very hot on those 700 deg cooks - so use a stone of some sort. Avoid bricks as they can crack under that much heat.[p]btw, check MikeO's profile and look at his table he made[p]Tim
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Tim M,[p] I agree with you. A layer of ash in the nottom of the BGE definitely helps to keep the bottom from getting too hot. There was a thread called "Ring of Fire" a while back in which someone did actually get their table smoldering a bit. I use the "tabs" and I've never had a problem, even when I did three batches of steaks for a big New Year's Party (Mr. Avocado was really hot for quite a while). I used pressure treated wood and haven't experienced any trouble. However, I do make an effort not to rub my food on the table top before eating :0) (a table cloth is also a fine idea). I also made my table with the BGE table covers in mind. I ordered the table cover first, then built my table to fit under it. Since I wanted to house my large BGE under the smaller of the two table covers (space out in the yard is at a premium), I built a fold-up shelf to give me more surface area when cooking. I put several picture of it on my visitor's profile (link below).[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]MikeO's Profile[/ul]
  • TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Doug,
    Ceder is an excellent choice of wood. Very hardy and will hold up for years of outdoor use.